Need new steering rack @40000 miles

I have a 2002 Windstar with a 3.8L. At 64000 km (40000 Miles I believe) just 4000 km over my warranty, the steering rack needs to be replaced according to the dealer. (We had the 3 yr/60000km warranty which we reached
in just over 2 yrs).
Well, they are giving me a warranty adjustment and I only have to pay 25% of the cost because we are over warranty and Ford is covering the rest. I guess I'm "lucky"????
First of all, does that seem out of the ordinary for a steering rack to go this early and......am I "lucky" that I am being charged this way?
I am aware that most things go wrong as soon as the warranty ends because that seems to be the way it is. Still, I'm pissed.
Thanks
bones opined in

yes and yes...
but it points to there being a "known problem", but dont see it here:
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/20/022040BZ.html