need spare key

I just bought a 08 Fusion. It came with two keys. They are the new type key in a holder that opens the doors and trunk remotely. Is there any place to get another spare key other than the dealer? I suppose I would need both a new key and the key holder or the car wouldn't start as it is some kind of smart key.

Reply to
Fred

You can get blanks on Ebay & go to almost any hardware store with a key cutter to copy it.

Reply to
Shawn

If it is a smart key (and it probably is) you will need to program the new key using 2 other keys. Look in owners manual.

Everyone with smart keys should have at least 1 in reserve (if not 2) so if one is lost, a new one can be programmed.

Reply to
newsreader

Contrary to common belief, you program the ECM to accept the key & store it's transponder pattern in it's database. The keys it's self is not programmable & it does make good sense to have at least three keys since it takes two to enter another in the ECM's memory. Most can have up to eight key entries but it differs from manufacturer & firmware revision level.

Reply to
Shawn

I found one on line and ordered it. Fairly inexpensive. So now I will have to get it cut and then do the programming for it per the procedure. Not too bad. Thanks everyone for the help.

Fred

Reply to
Fred