new car buying info

When is the best time to get the lowest price on a new car?

So you've heard that there are "soft spots" in vehicle merchandising, industry secrets about when dealers will absolutely sacrifice profit, pride and practical business sense to move machinery at any price. You've heard these rumors, haven?t you?

Unfortunately, they?re not true. Of course, you might swing a deal on a convertible during the coldest blizzard of the year. But the rest of the time, the dealer knows all the "timing" tricks you might try. a.. Rainy or snowy days? Forget it: The dealer sales people know that if a customer comes in during bad weather, he or she is generally ready to buy. b.. The end of the month, dealer-quota time: Although quotas do exist, they're for different models at different times, and many of them have already been made earlier in the month or carried over. c.. The end of the model year: Bargain hunters create demand by thinking they're getting a deal because the model has been outdated, and dealers can respond by raising prices. The best time to buy a new car is when you're truly ready.

Reply to
edb

The end of the month is good, because dealers want to make numbers to get kick backs from car dealers. And sales people also want to make numbers. At the end of the model year (like now) is also good, because dealers want to sell the new year's cars, not the old ones. So they will sell the older ones at a discount. At the end of the calendar year is also good, because dealers want to make annual figures.

The other thing is that you can go to cars.com or other online car services. The internet sales people don't get paid commissions, so they are more interested getting sales than increasing the price.

The quotas are not just for the dealer, but for the sales persons, as well. They want to close sales.

And sell fewer cars. DOH!

The best time is when you are ready to separate the buying of the car from the financing and selling the old car. They are separate transactions. If you can get bank financing before going to the dealer, do it. When the sales person asks, "How much do you want to spend each month?" The answer is, "I already have financing for my vehicle. I am just interested in the total price."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Even if you could give a junior salesweasel a snowjob, he would never get a losing deal past hs boss..... These guys can crunch numbers that will put a big assed smile on your face - until you figure it out

Look at it this way.... you will get bafflespeak until you sign... and you will walk away never knowing any better....

I don't do trade-ins..... one wild card out of the way.... I dont do financing.... another wild card out of the way..... This is the only way that the bottom line can ever truly be the bottom line.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Which is why you never sign anything unless you understand all the numbers and know all the costs. You figure out where the money is going.

The people who went by this rule never bought Enron stock and did not get burned.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff