New F150's

Page 2 of 3
Picasso wrote:

"NHTSA"
Rob

Heaven forbid someone forcing trucks to be safer. What a horror.
jeff
Jeffy.... this might come as a surprise..... it ain't the truck that's unsafe.... it ain't the car, it ain't the gun, the knife, the hammer nor the pair of scissors that your momma always told you not to run with. Take a mechanical device.... ANY mechanical device.... give it to the "right" person and it turns into a deadly weapon.
Face it, little buddy, the human race is flawed... some of us to the point of being too stupid to be allowed to breed. When we all finally realize that we are flawed and respond accordingly, we wont have to blame our stupidity on our tools....

Can we get an amen!!!

BUT - people do have accidents - even smart, careful, well meaning people. Accidentally running into the side of a Corolla with a jacked up truck is more likely to cause injury to the passengers of the Corolla that running into the same vehicle with a bumper that doesn't go over the side guard beams in the door. A lower tuck is less likely to roll over in an emergency maneuver (possibly caused by a real idiot, and not the driver of the truck). In must cases I am all for individual freedom, however, there are limits. When your choices endanger me and others, then I believe the Government needs to make reasonable rules.
Ed
The government does. They are called traffic laws. If everybody obeyed them there would be far fewer 'accidents.' ;)
mike hunt

Statistic show one is less likely to be killer or injured in a light truck than in a small car.
mike hunt

Jeff wrote:

Heaven forbid they make a truck for WORK! Trucks werent designed for driving to the grocery store... they were designed for WORK... and when these trucks bottom out on small rocks in the woods, we have a problem.

Low? Ground clearance is a minimum of 8 inches on the 2006 F150 2WD short bed and, guess what, it is a tremendous 8.3 inches on the 4x4 (all because of the tires). The cartoon cutout Dodge Ram 4x2 has a HUGE 7.4" minimum clearance (and the 4x4 actually has less at 7.3").
You are confusing styling with reality. I have never been able to understand why people want jacked up trucks. Unless you change the wheel size to move the rear axle up, jacking up the body and frame isn't going to improve ground clearance in way that will affect your ability to use the truck as intended. And raising truck's body makes it less useful and less safe. One of the primary reasons I did not want a new F150 4x4 is because the sides of the bed are too high. It makes loading things from the side of the truck difficult. Raising the body of a truck makes it less safe for you and others on the road. A higher body moves the center of gravity up, making the truck less stable in turns. Raising the front bumpers makes it more likely that you will override the side door beams or bumpers of a car in an accident, increasing the chances of injury for the people in a car. And many trucks are so high, they are difficult to get in and require side steps, which effectively move the body height back down to the same as the Ford 2WD, or even lower.
Truck buyers need to carefully consider why they want a ridiculously high truck. Why do you want to do that? Is it a "look at me, I am special sort of thing?" Or is it a way of intimidating other drivers? I'd love to hear a rational reason for wanting a very high truck.
Ed

Because some of us actually use truck to WORK, and it's a shorter lift for loading. Also the trailer might actually tow LEVEL
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
hrm, never had one of these sorts of jobs, good point. I suppose the lower bed helps the ole lower back.

Apparently a lot of truck buyers like the higher sides on the F150, they buy more of them than any other truck. ;)
mike hunt

But for how much longer? My family has owned nothing but Ford trucks for over 50 years. But when I needed to replace my trusty old F150, I wouldn't even consider the "new" F150. The bed sides are ridiculously high. If you get a 4x4, you have to have a step ladder to put anything in the truck's bed. I suppose this is fine for people who cover the bed with a hard tonneau cover and drive the vehicle around town, but for someone who actually has to use the truck as a truck, it sucks. Like I said before, if I wanted a Chevrolet Truck, I would have bought a Chevrolet truck. Ford out sold Chevrolet becasue they built better trucks, not becasue they made trucks that were thrird rate cars. Apparently they have forgotten this. I think they should just admit that F150s are just cars and rename them Taurus. The only thing that will save Ford is that they still sell F250s and the fact that Toyota still can't figure out how to build a decent full size pick-up.
Ed
The F150 is approaching 30 years as the number one seller
mike

C. E. White wrote:

THANK YOU ED! I agree totally.
I too am not pleased with the toyota "fullsize" trucks, but i somehow can't bring myself to go buy a chevrolet, even though they work better, have more comfortable seats and have a better ride. I will probally end up looking more towards an F250.
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

Depends where you work. This is the first pickup i've ever seen that is not made to travel in the woods.
So now they need to make two 2wd models, one lower for you people who WORK in urban spaces and drive on the pavement and a second model for people who WORK in the woods.
Do you believe a vehicle with 16" wheels has more ground clearance than one with 17" wheels and larger tires?
mike

It could. It depends on more than just the wheel size. Now if they both have the same type of suspension (type, pumpkin size etc.) and body, then 17" wheels with the correct size tires should have more ground clearance than 16 wheels with comparable size tires. In other words, P235R70-17 tires have a larger diameter than P235R70-16 tires and should provide greater ground clearance. However wheel size is only part of the equation when determining ground clearance. For example, P265/70R15 tires have a greater diameter than P245/65R17 and would therefore provide greater ground clearance, all other factors being equal. If you start considering other factors (independent suspension versus stick axles, body parts, steps, etc., etc.) it is very easy to find vehicles with 16" or 15" wheels with greater ground clearance than vehicles with 17" wheels.
Ed
Get real
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

In what way was I not "real?" It is very easy to find tires mounted on 15 inch rims that have a greater diameter than different tires mounted on 1 inch rims. Cross section width and aspect ratio must e considered when calculating the overall outside diamete. For a stick axle, the outside diamter of the tire is the most improtant factor in determining ground clearance.
Ed