New Fan Clutch - now Roars

Hi Folks-

I just replaced the fan clutch on my '95 Crown Vic. It's a weird car, it has 2 fans. The regular mechanical belt drive and also an electric that seems to run when the A/C is on. Anyway - I was checking trans fluid and noticed the fan not turning even tho the engine was. so...time for a new clutch.

I shopped a bit and bought a Hayden since I had used them on other cars and they're built here in USA. After the swap, the fan roars constantly. It does not appear to disengage at all. It is a real trip on the freeway! I took it back and got a second one. So far, it seems the same. The new clutch is the same general size and shape as the original. There is even a note in the instructions explaining that a new clutch might not engage right away because it needs to spin a bit for the fluid to get to where it does it's thing.

Do these things take a few hundred miles to break in? Could I have gotten two bad ones in a row?

I can't stand the noise, the car is now louder than some heavy machinery and people notice...

If there is a more suitable product out there, I'd sure like to know what it is. I am about to give this back and go to a Ford dealer for one... (twice the $$, tho...)

Thanks folks - let me know what you think.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Generally they get quieter as they break in. So I'd give it a few weeks if you can.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I understand "shopped a bit" to mean I bought the cheapest one or a variation on the theme. Thermostatic fans are NOT created equal... cheap ones are - well, they're cheap ones... unfortunately, expensive ones can be cheap ones if you fall for the hype...

FWIW, did you change the fan clutch for any other reason than the fan didn't appear to be turning? Was the car overheating? Was there any noticeable concern?

If it ain't broke, why "fix" it?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hi Jim-

Actually, I shopped because I wanted a familiar brand name with a good warranty and I had used Hayden before. It wasn't the cheapest. A reman no-name was cheapest and a new "Made in China" no-name was second. Ford factory part is most expensive, followed by a "performance" brand I was unfamiliar with.

I have had pinging on acceleration but only after the car is warmed up for a while. I also noticed that my usually stable outside temp display would rise several degrees at a lite, only to fall again when driving. The dash coolant display never goes above half, even with a blocked radiator... so I don't know for sure.

Oh, the fan had a lot of wobble in it with the old clutch, too. The wobble was worst after driving a while, when the fan didn't turn. After sitting over night it was tighter.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

I figured there would be a break-in - I wasn't expecting it to last past a couple of highway trips. It's been several years since I have replaced one - but I don't remember noise like this before.

Thanks!

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

"Paul of Dayton" wrote

We're sure it's the right part number? Made to turn the proper direction? Has the same bi-metal springy thing on the front? The fan mounting bolts aren't too long, crushing and locking it solid? Can you spin the fan by hand (although with some effort)?

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Part # double-checked by parts guy and also referenced at the Hayden site (and some other on-line places.)

Arrow on case seems right (but I will look again to be sure)

It does have the spring - in fact - it looks almost like the original Ford one.

Mounting bolts are fine - the fan does spin by hand but it is hard to turn - just like out of the box.

I experienced the wrong direction design once on a different car. It was a cheepo no name and was replaced 3 times. Finally the parts company gave me a Hayden, it was right and perfect from the start. That is why I am so stumped now.

One parts place wanted me to use the clutch from a '92 - it was about half the size. I figured it would soon fail.

PoD

"MasterBlaster" > I shopped a bit and bought a Hayden since I had used them on other cars

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

One thing you may need to check is whether the replacement fan is a torque limiting fan or a true thermal fan. Some run the fan at full speed all the time until the engine RPM are up at which time is begins to "slip" reducing the amount of torque to drive it. It will fully lock when the temp gets high enough. They are noisy all the time and suck up extra power and fuel (much more than you would think!!). The true thermal fan will be pretty much locked on cold start but, will pretty much freewheel after a couple of minutes unless and until the lock temp is reached. The OEM on Fords is a true thermal unit. There is also a difference in which direction they are designed to operate. Make sure it is the same as the OEM clutch. I have used a couple of the Eaton replacement clutches with good results but, it has been several years.

Good luck Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks Lugnut. The web site and the paperwork say thermal. It does have the spring thing on front. I sent Hayden an email on Monday but no answer, yet.

The second one is just as loud as the first. I'm going to give it another day or two, then probably return it if it doesn't quiet down.

I'll let folks know how it turns out.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon