NEW MUSTANG

I never liked the design of previous mustangs(1994 to 2004), that's why I didn't buy one. I never understood people who bought that car, it is just too ugly.
But this new one(2005), I like. In my opinion, it looks beautiful. I think I am going to buy one.
Actually current chevy impalas(post 2000) are uglier . Why did GM had to change their design to such an ugly duckling? I liked their previous design better. mid to late 90s. my personal favorite, 1997 chevy impala SS!!
0@0.0 wrote:

i also like the design of older mustangs....1986 to 1992. but 1994 to 2004 mustangs are butt ugly!! BUTT UGLY!!
0@0.0 wrote:

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. How else would one account for all those people that buy Toyotas. ;)
mike hunt
0@0.0 wrote:

0@0.0 wrote:

The Old impala died because Chevy wanted another truck plant. That and the market for big american 4 doors died with the aging customer base. Folks under 50 were not buying Roadmasters or Caprices out side of the Police/ Taxi market.

You should buy one. But if it was me I'd wait a year or two, until the hype goes away and the prices drop. But don't wait too long, or risk being like a 67 or 8 fan like me and have to pay three times what they cost new.
DC

Usually the first year models are the most seeked after. But this 05 Mustang has been made for a certain market. While waiting for the price to drop, the buyer risks a price increase, losses a year or two of the benefit of driving it and may die before he gets one. Buy now.
In the last 2 weeks, the dealers went from $2k-$5k over sticker, down to msrp.
I have been thinking of buying one also. I like the wheels on the 6 cyl. model, I don't like the wheels on the GT. I want a GT so I'll probbaly have to buy an extra set of wheels. I also like the vinyl graphic that says "Mustang" that don't come with the GT model. I am sooooooo confused. Hank
| I never liked the design of previous mustangs(1994 to 2004), that's why | I didn't buy one. I never understood people who bought that car, it is | just too ugly. | But this new one(2005), I like. In my opinion, it looks beautiful. I | think I am going to buy one. | My wife had a yellow '69 Mach one. She sold it in '74 and bought a '73 Mach one. She sold that in '76 (the year we got married) so we could buy a new house. She now wants the '69 replaced, or she would like a new Mustang because of the resemblance to the '69. She plans on driving it to the grocery store once a week in the summer. What should we do? It seems that restored '69's are available but scattered throughout the US, so it would be hard to "shop around" for a good one, but should hold their value. A new one would depreciate about $4000 per year, may never reach "collector status" but would be more technologically advanced and she could drive it more without the fear of breaking down, fender benders, etc. Tough decision. Please help us decide.

Mach
be
one
If you're buying the car to drive, the new one would be better in every way. It would start quicker, run better during warmup, get better gas mileage, and run cleaner. The car itself would be quieter, safer, less rust-prone, more comfortable, and should be more reliable. All that said, a nice '69 will always get attention, while the '05 will only get attention for the few months it takes to get enough of them on the road to make them commonplace. Think New Beetle and PT Cruiser in this regard.
The '05, as you say, will depreciate a lot the first few years. It should reach "collector status," probably in about 30 years. The old one, if it stays in the same condition, will appreciate in value, but the "staying the same" is a big caviat. If you drive it, the interior will wear, the paint will get rock dings, etc., and, of course, if you live the the "rust belt" where they salt roads or near an ocean, the collector car will turn into a worthless heap in a few years if driven year round. Also, some parts would be harder to get for the old one. For the "driving once a week to the grocery store in the summer" scenario you describe, if you park so as to avoid door dings, etc., a nice old one could make sense.
The bottom line, to me at least, is this. If you want the car to drive, Get a new one. It looks good, drives well, is fast enough to be fun, and with any luck, should be reliable. If you want the car as a "hobby," find a a nice old one and drive it "for fun," but keep it away from any sources of salt, and keep it out of the sun when not driven. Another option would be to find a "beater" old one for not much money, and drive it expecting it to deppreciate as it turns from a "beater" into a "junker."
Good luck