New one on me - Taurus fuel filter rusts through

One more thing to check regularly...
Just had the fuel filter replaced on my 94 Taurus wagon because the filter had rusted through and was leaking gas.
I bought the car used. Could have been the orignal filter, and this is around salty Boston. The car has been looked after by good mechanics while I've owned it for the last year and some months, but they never saw the problem coming... and I'm old enough, and it's cold enough around here, to think that $55 ain't bad ($16 for the filter, rest in labor), even though that's getting to be a significant percentage of the car's total value...
You'd think these would be engineered to resist rust. They're under pressure and they're open to the elements, under the car.
(Gotta admit the body integrity of this car is pretty good. There was never any gas odor inside the passenger cabin).
Dave G.
Did they show you the filter in place before they replaced it..??? .. I take it that it is really COLD in Boston, we were 25 deg.F in MD this morning, 21 deg.Yesterday, otherwise replacing that filter would cost just the price of the filter.

Normal service says replace about 50k. Common sense says to replace once a year. Possibly the original at 9 years old and no one saw it coming?