New York taxi boss shops for new cabs - Crown Vic's dominance in Big Apple may end

Page 2 of 4  
wrote:


Yes, but L.A. has almost as bad traffic, and the idjits that try to run still manage to find holes and head for daylight as fast as they can. Occasionally, they even succeed in getting away, but when you have all the media helicopters converging it's rare - someone will have a lock on the perp.
They'll have a 10 MPH crawling pursuit for a few minutes, then the crook will get off the freeway and turn around against the traffic and open it up to 90 again - at least till the next batch of traffic...
So raw acceleration and a decent top end is still important.
--<< Bruce >>--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:54:32 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman

FWD is okay in a pursuit as long as your going straight. The problem arises when you try to turn. The differential will give you a power bias that will screw up the cornering big time. Also, if you have uneven traction on the front tires (one wheel on sand) you're screwed. There is a good reason why all serious, high speed race cars are rear wheel drive and it isn't because the drivers are afraid to learn new tricks.
Jack
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:53:51 GMT, Retired VIP

That's because most cops don't know how to handle a FWD car, just like the CHP found out that 90% of the deputies they had during the Ford Mustang 5.0 disaster didn't really know how to drive a stick. The lines of 5.0s with burned clutches and crunched boxes outside CHP shops was impressive, to say the least.
Some jurisdictions have gone to FWD, and report no problems and better economy.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You are entttitled to you own opinion, no mater how convaluted it may be. The fact is eight out of ten certified police vehicles sold in the US are Intercepters. I owed a fleeet service business, that maitained thousands of police vehicles, in six eastern states. I can asssure you many departments that did buy FWD cars swithched bact to RWD because the much higher mainatenance costs and down time that more than negated the $2,000 lower purchase price. The Pensylvania State Police banned the use of FWD cars in the eighties, because of their inherant poor handling on wet an ice roads, that injured and killed some of the troopers
Now do us a favor and go back in your hole and do a bit of research before you choose to comment again on a subject of which you obviously have little or no knowledge LOL
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

He says some departments use FWD cars. You say many don't. He provided nothing to back up his claim. You provided nothing to back up your claim, either. Sounds like you're even, unless you can prove that NOBODY in law enforcement uses FWD vehicles.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Duh! Does eight out of ten mean anything to you LOL
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Yeah. It means you said "go back in your hole" for no reason, except that once again, you're drunk.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
As we expect when you run out of argumdnt to support you opinion, you once again must resort to a personal attack LOL
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

And your saying "go back in your hole" to the other guy was NOT a personal attack?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Well, My Name Is NOBODY, and I DO NOT use Front Wheel Drive!
:-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

What about the new big Dodges? Cop versions are on the streets here, and they seem quite happy with them. Could keep Dodge afloat until they come out with better small cars (although those will probably come from China)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Why do you think those will come from China? Which company will make them. I don't think Chrysler has plants in China. And the small cars they are going to sell in South America are coming from Nissan.
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Sales of Dodge Chargers to police forces will not be enough to keep Dodge "afloat." They are going to have to do it the old fashioned way - by selling to consumers.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The name excape me at the monment but Ford has a new box crossover like car/SUV, built on an AWD chassis, that will come to market later this year, that will fill the bill as a CV replacement. There is no question that the CV is the prefered NEW cab in major US cities. What most poeple do not know however is the fast majority of CV cabs in NYC were purchased USED not new. NYC cabs, in general for the most part, are puchased used. Nearly half of the CV cabs in NYC are rebuilt former police cars, many with well over 500K on the clock. ;)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What ever happened to the Checkers?
--


"We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."

Hillary Clinton
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Price! Checkers were "assembled" cars, they only made bodies and puchased drivetrain parts etc.from others
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Tomes (back from the Usenet dead)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
GM indeed made Checkers great drivetains ;)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mike hunt wrote:

They also used Lycoming engines before WWII.
There's even one former Checker taxi still in use in NYC. The driver will give anyone a free ride in the city. Of course, while he may not charge anyone for a ride, there is no law against people giving him tips, which they do.
A lot of people like riding in the old car.
Jeff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Checker Motors shut down automobile production in 1982, but the company still exists (as in Checker Cabs among other things).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_Motors_Corporation
Jeff DeWitt
Jeff wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.