Newbie question concerning brake lights and turn signals - Thunderbird

I'm asking because this problem has recently croped up on me and I am unforunately unable to afford to get it looked t by a professional yet.
I have a 1997 Ford Thuinderbird LX 8 cyl.
My rear brake lights are out as well my rear turn signal lights. It's not the bulbs and it's not a fuse. That I was able to check out on my own.
Any ideas? Any info I can use so I know what I'm looking for/at? Thanks!
At the risk of sounding rude,try the same problem on a 69 bird!!Our 97 has yet to go through that one.I'm thinking ground ????
Bufftbone wrote:

Look at the multifunction switch.