Nextel Cup "Car of Tomorrow"

Page 1 of 2
.. has a 4 bbl carburetor.
Car of tomorrow my ass! even more a joke than the Lumina changeover.
Yeah, I know... but there's several companies make bolt-on EFI.

you pay..DEAL with it!
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:03:22 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

Hard to know why NASCAR is about 30 years in the past when it comes to engines.

Little bit longer than 30 years in the past, small block Chebby has been around since 1954 for the 1955 model year.
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:36:07 -0500, "Frank from Deeetroit"

Even sadder then
Andy wrote:

Even though the cup cars are a small block, try to put a nascar block in a 55 chevy and see if all the other 1955 vintage engine parts fit. Its a different dog.
You have to get past the point of NASCAR being "stock cars". back in the 60's maybe. Modern nextel cup cars are spec built race cars. nothing more. Tube chassis. custom bent sheet metal. not even the same dimensions. Front drive street vs rear drive cup. The decals on the cars for headlights and such are the closest thing to being "stock".
Try to find a stock street car that spins 9000 RPM.
Why carburetors? because they are afraid they cannot "Police" the electronics on the cars if they go to fuel injection. Traction control is a felony in cup you know........
Bob
-

Easy. Look for the piston bits on the road next to it.

Carbs keep it fairer for all.
Jeff

Well, i didnt think I would have to point it out, on here... but a restrictor plate doesnt care what the fuel system is.
For that matter, NASCAR COULD have a 'regulation throttle body' (or two, the other for the short tracks) which they controlled and distributed to the teams... let the various teams and mfrs do whatever else they can to improve the performance otherwise
you pay..DEAL with it!

Why don't other racing regulating bodies have problems "policing" fuel injected engines then?
Andy wrote:

Simple. While other types of racing are about racing, NASCAR is ALL about absolute parity (whether it really exists or not). Cars are made to go slower not faster. there are more templates in the garage than Cheereo's in a cereal box. Nascar inspectors could put the Department of Homeland Security to shame. Some of the cheating in the past was worthy of NASA involvement.
They know they can stick templates on a carburettor and see if its modified. But how would they check doctored fuel injectors at the track quickly? Especially modern port injection with injectors on a high pressure fuel rail. Some brain surgeon would figure out how to make one flow more and the rest would be crying fowl. That's the nascar way.
And then theirs the electronics. Unless nascar handed out the fuel injection computers at every track they would not have a 100% way of knowing some funny business has not taken place. NASCAR has a colored past of creative bending of the rules. Fuel injection and computers would just be another challenge to be broken for some team.
In the not so distant past there has been accusation of some teams using some form of traction control Via the ignition box. Nothing was every proven (AFAICR), but they clamped down on that too and now there are more rules on the ignition systems.
The sad thing is for as much as NASCAR stresses parity, there is a still large difference between the haves and have nots. The Hendrix's and Rouch's will spend millions for a few tenths of a second lap time improvement. Other low budget teams would just like to have a few more people in the shop to get the car to the track. Or to even find a sponcer that will allow them to be competitive.
Nascar is much like the WWE now. Its not a sport, its entertainment.
Bob
-
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:50:47 -0600, BOB URZ

Still doesn't explain why other racing bodies dont have the same problems. I mean if you look at F1, they are always trying to slow them down.
So NASCAR can't figure out what almost every other race body in the world has figured out? They aren't that dumb are they?
Andy wrote:

F1 is a very high dollar elitist series with not that many teams.
Nascar, although it started out with modest home boy roots, is now just big business.
You can look what the indy racing league is doing. limit choices and change engine and chassis specs every year or two. And lease the engines. People used to care about that series. Now, its just more racing chaff and the TV screen. Even the 500 does not have the glamour it once had.
You want to cut back on the NASCAR cheating? make a common chassis and single supplier for bodies. Then lease engines from a central source. But don't count on that every
happening in the near future in NASCAR. NASCAR likes some diversity, but its a high
cost to maintain it. Other wise, you might as well just make it a glorified IROC series with identical cars with different decals on them.
We will see how much Toyota stirs the pot this year. NASCAR has not been a true stock car series since they outlawed the Superbird and 426 Hemi.
I'll bet DE jr toilet seats are a popular item this Christmas....... ;)
Bob
-

This, IMHO, had a lot more to do with the split between IRL and CART several years back. I lost interest around the mid-90s. I got interested in NASCAR when the company I used to work for fielded the 24 car. I lost interest in the car when just before they fired Burton as their driver. I still like Nascar, and miss the days when Mike Andretti and Al Unser, Jr. where driving in Indy. But I have no interest in Indy.

They also limited the number of teams that one owner can field.

NASCAR stopped growing as fast as it once was.
Still, a lot of people will buy things because they see it advertised on NASCAR or has the NASCAR label on it. I mean there are people who will use Tide because there is care with it on it in NASCAR.
And NASCAR won't be moving to NYC.
Jeff

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:02:27 -0600, BOB URZ

F1 is just one example. There are plenty of others like SCCA, IMSA...etc.

As far as I understand...the technology has been kept simpler in the interest of keeping cost down. It's not that they couldn't go high tech, they choose not to.
Compare the cost of a Nascar stock car to that of an F1 car...not even in the same league. The average steering wheel in an F1 car approaches $40,000 (because of all the electronics involved).
(*>

F1 is just one example, there are plenty of other raceing bodies out there. Yes F1 is high money, but they aren't the only ones to use fuel injection.
I can't stand NASCAR because oval track racing is boaring.

Damn... you're right!
Nothing more exciting than watching Schumacher out there, all by his lonesome, battling those curve demons, and the pitting clock, hour after hour.
At least CART and INDY have some battles for the lead.
you pay..DEAL with it!

It's great. But there are people who think that a sport where you try to his a silly white ball or throw around a big brown is boring. To each his own.

So does NASCAR. In one of the chase races, one the fnal lap, the guygs in first and second place ended up in like 24th places.
Jeff

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:11:00 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

Won't see him out there anymore. Heck NASCAR on a road course is good, NASCAR on on oval track, puts me to sleep.
Hawk wrote:

Cost down? Does F1 have short track, mid track, super speedway, and road course cars? How many cars does it take to run a top level CUP team these days? More than a handful. How many shop employees does Hendrick or Roush have vs a top F1 team? Don't kid yourself. there's big bucks involved both above and under the table. You cannot look at just what a single car cost. You have to look at the big picture.
Bob
-

What do they check on a carb?
What difference does it make what injectors and what fuel pressure?
I've never about heard them worrying about anything but air intake capacity.. that's the restrictor plate, and like I say, that would be easy.
you pay..DEAL with it!