No backup lights on 97' Taurus

Problem with a 97' Taurus wagon. The backup lights don't come on anymore. Both bulbs are good but there's no power reaching either backup light socket in the lift gate. Fuses have been checked and are all good. I suspect the problem is the manual lever position sensor (MLPS) on the automatic transmission, which controls the backup lights, among other functions. I don't have the manual for this car so I'd like to know where the MLPS is it located on the tranny.

Thanks

Reply to
Fordfan

Ford refers to it as the TRS - Transmission Range Sensor. It is a multi-switch on the shift shaft on top of the transmission, easily accessible with the air intake removed. About $90.00 at your Ford dealer.

The black w/ pink stripe is the wire at the TRS that gets 12v + for reverse lamps. If it isn't, it's likely the switch(TRS) barring any other symptoms.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1