no brakes

Page 1 of 2
on a 1980 t-bird is there supposed to be a vacuum booster on the master cylinder. or would i have to bleed the brakes to get the pressure to stay constant.

There is almost always a vacuum brake booster that the master cylinder is attached to.
The question is: What do you mean by pressure being constant? Does the brake pedal sink to the floor slowly? Immediately?

cylinder. or would i have to bleed the brakes to get the pressure to stay constant.

the peddle goes to the floor as soon as u push on it and the brakes barely lock up or apply.
This means either you have a brake line leak or your master cylinder is worn out.
Check the brake fluid level. If it's empty you've found your problem. It's leaking out somewhere.
If you are full on fluid, and the pedal still sinks with no leaking, then it's the master cylinder.

lock up or apply.

You have a leak or no linings. Possibly other problems like a leaking master cylinder or all of the above. Don't try to diagnose and fix it, by you asking your over your head. Find a repair facility and tow it there for them to diagnose and fix it.

lock up or apply.

ok when i recieved the car it had new brake pads front and rear on both sides. the problem is that there seems to be no vaccum assist when u push the peddle down.plus i can repair it myself rather than paying someone else to do it. i have all the necessary tools and parts at my disposal.

sides. the problem is that there seems to be no vaccum assist when u push the peddle down.plus i can repair it myself rather than paying someone else to do it. i have all the necessary tools and parts at my disposal. ===========================so the pedal doesnt go to the floor, it is just very hard to push?
no straight to the floor
if you pump the pedal, does the braking improve? If so, they neee to have the air bled out of the system. john

If air is in the lines there is a leak, so bleeding is of no value.

if you believe that, i have a bridge i will sell you. (old joke) john

You should believe it because it's true. Air doesn't just get in there by magic or something. No joke... Bob

Ok, how does it get in there?

On 2/05/04 @ 11:41 am You said the pedal goes right to the floor. That is not an assist problem, that is a hydraulic problem.

the problem is that there seems to be no vaccum assist when u push the peddle down.plus i can repair it myself rather than paying someone else to do it. i have all the necessary tools and parts at my disposal.

in other words when the peddle hits the floor the car finally decides to stop
You have a hydraulic problem, not an assist. Also just because new linings were installed does not mean they are installed correctly.

screw it dont care any more/sold the car

LOL
Or you could have air in the lines and have to bleed them to get air out. john

The only problem with that scenario is... how did the air get in there?
If the problem is truly air in the system, and nobody has opened the system up, then there's some magic happening.
I can't think of a way air can get in to a system, yet no fluid is leaking out. (Unless you have very old moisture laden brake fluid in there that started boiling near the brakes).
I still say leak or master cylinder. But I have to agree with Thomas. If 79Monte had to ask... then he should take the car in to get fixed.
There is very rarely an instance when a brake system is working fine, then suddenly there's air in the system which needs bled out (with no fluid leaking out). I've never had it happen to me, and I've been pretty hard on brakes that had very old fluid in the system.

master
stay