NO FOUR WHEEL DRIVE

I was sitting in my 1999 Ford F-150 today. The light was red and I was looking at the shift for the 4Wheel drive... HMMM Just for kicks I went to shift into
4wheel high and the shifter won't budge.......OK..... Maybe I am doing this wrong.. So I pulled into the Dunkin Donuts parking lot, grabbed the owners manual and got to the page.... YUP, in drive or out of drive and on the fly, just pull the lever towards you.... Nothing...... Even going over to the left nothing...... WIl have to bring to the ford dealer were we bought it and have them explain to me how this thing works... My 99 Tacoma had such a nice shift into 4X4...... IF anyone can tell me what the hell I a doing wrong I would be thankful...
Jake 99 F-150
That isnt actually 4x4 its 4x2, when you turn on your 4x4 only one back wheel and one front wheel will ever spin at one time. Unless you have lockouts.
As far as the transfer case not shifting, it sounds like a problem you should have the dealer look at.

looking
into
this
fly,
left
have
shift
be
How do you figure that? Normally they are just plain old limited slip differentials. Meaning yes, all 4 wheels can have power at the same time, however, if one of the wheels on each axle has any significant amount less traction, or resistance, than the other, that wheel will get the power. I don't understand how or why only one wheel from each differential would spin at a time.
If he's upgraded to something like a Trac-Loc (prolly not a good idea for off-roading), or a Detroit Locker, then both wheels on each axle would be locked, essentially like a solid axle, except for making turns.
Or maybe I just don't understand how a limited slip differential works... One or the other.

shift
owners
would
if this is the first time you tried to put it in 4X4, there is a very good possibility the shifter is seized from lack of use

looking
into
this
fly,