No ignition when cold (Windstar)

Hi,
I have a Windstar 1996 3.8L engine.
For sometimes I'm having trouble starting it when cold (near 32F) but when reaching below 10 it's nearly impossible to start if there is no block
heater!!!
The engine cranks ok, I have a brand new battery.
What it does, is as the engine rotates, sometimes it looks as if there is too much gas, or not enough fire.
And sometime it looks as there no gas and no fire, but all this time i'm able to crank the engine.
Could it be a faulty relay, and where could it be.
Thanks.