Noise When Turning '99 Windstar

I just got this van. When I test drove it last week, I guess I didn't adequately test tight right hand and left turns or it has developed a noise since. I never hear the noise going straight, but when I make a moving right hand turn, it sounds like a suspension-type noise (low pitch creak, NOT high pitched or groan) at about halfway thru the turn, even when turning slow as into my driveway.

I did check the fluid and it was not bright red, brown-ish red so I took it to get the fluid changed today. I had the mechanic do the power flush, disconnecting return line, cranking, filling, etc. Used Mobil 1 Synthetic Mercon/MerconV, the multi-vehicle fluid. Fluid looks great now, it was a perfect exchange.

Driving home I am noticing the same noise when turning left now. I am guessing that having the van lifted up shifted things around a bit. It really sounds like my struts or something in the steering assembly, rather than the power steering pump, but I have to admit the only failure I have had in the past on other vehicles resulted in obvious pump groaning, but still, I just don't think it is the pump.

I don't get any noise if I am turning the wheel at a standstill under power (neither was there any noise when it was on the lift turning left and right) and neither do I get any when bouncing the car either over bumps or at a standstill, only on slow turns.

Going through the receipts from the previous owner:

Replaced Sway Bar Link Pin Kit

1/3/05 @64,911 (Recommended replacing subframe mounts)

Replaced Upper Subframe Mounts Parts: Qty: 4 Description: ABS ASY924362 This was done 1/6/05 @64,954 miles

Car has 85,000 miles now.

Reply to
Rob

ford has a TSB about your concern email me at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
monkeyboy via CarKB.com

"Rob" wrote

Front wheel drive? Noise only when moving and the wheels are turned? First thought = CV joint(s).

Reply to
MasterBlaster