Noises under carriage

Well, I cranked up the old 97 Aerostar the other day and after the engine caught, for 2-3 seconds I heard a rumbling noise underneath - hard to tell
but sounds like coming from the back half of the van. It doesn't do this every time. Anyone ever had this happen? How would be the best way to pin point the problem, since it's intermittent.
Thanks!
Fred

Suspect exhaust piping, do tug and wiggle test.. have a tendency to break at flange between cat and muffler
you pay..DEAL with it!
And the whole exhaust system can drop to the pavement when it comes apart there.
Many thanks. I've got my wiggle face on and heading outside to check.