Noisy Serpentine Belt

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus, About 6 months ago the serpentine belt start squealing. si I replaced it. Last week the thermostat stuck closed and the car ran very hot, now the belt is making same noise. My question is, did the belt get so hot it got soft and is now ruined, or could it be the pulleys are now warped?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Johnson

Most likely neither. It probably got coolant on the belt. That will make them squeal every time. You can hose it off real good and it will eventually go away.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Ahhh, never even thought of that but you are right, it pushed most of the coolant out when it started making noise. I will take it to a car wash and hose it off!

Thanks

Tony Johnson

After it's nice and clean, a good squirt of Silicone spray will keep it quiet, too. I know it sounds odd to put lube on a belt but the flat serpentine belts are different. I've been doing it for years.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

The best way I found sofar is using a little steel/copper brush, hold it on the grooved part of the belt while running idle and clean all dirt off

It will make it go away for a longer time then the squirt on stuff

Offcourse be VERY CAREFUL while doing this

Reply to
johanb