not starting

i have a 1994 ford escort Lx,alarm staying on all the time it will not allow petrol to the engine to start it. can't check petrol pump as alarm cuts out fuel.or is it the programed keys thats at fault.please help
thankyou.or can anyone come up with any ideas of what it could be.
Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but the factory PATS system was 96 or newer(EEC V)so it's not the key itself; you should have a separate fob on your keychain with a transponder; you probably need to change the battery.