Notice!!!! no attachments - here's why

unless a newsgroup has "bin" in it's address, attachments will be stripped.
This is basic internet protocol, and while it may seem archaic, allows longer
retention of messages on servers, which messages produce little or no income for the hoster.
Remember there is no advertising revenue, nor does anyone subscribe to an ISP for the NG services! You will also note that most ISP's contract out the Newsgroups
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:40:00 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

Thanks, learning new things every day!! (but will I remember....)
While this newsgroup removes attachments, you sent the .jpg image in yenc format. The result was a large text message that the newsgroup didn't recognize and remove.
With a news reader capable of decoding yenc, the .jpg image can be restored intact. I was able to decode the test message and see your image, which appears to be the top of an engine. Good picture, also.
I used News Reactor, http://www.daansystems.com /
Any other comprehensive news reader would work just as well.
GT

GT opined in wrote:

Maybe Earthlink doesnt remove it, Prodigy (used by yahoo ISP) does .... and also removes most spam... which I only see if someone replies to it.
Thus I didnt see the yenc either...

Interesting...
The yenc didn't show up as an attachment in Outlook Express. Normally attachments will show up there. In this case, it was just an extremely large message - nearly 500K. All text. That may be why it got through the screening. The news reader recognized its yenc header and started decoding at that point.
Bottom line, this is not a reliable way to send images.
GT
GT opined

You do understand that I meant the only thing I saw was the text intro.. a four line message?
The yenc was stripped by the prodigy newsserver in my case, my newsreader (XNews) decodes yenc

I do understand that you only saw the 4 line message. Apparently some ISPs will recognize the encoded text and remove it, others don't. Hence my comment that this is an unreliable technique to transmit image attachments.

Depends on the news service you are using. Some pass it through, others strip it. It has nothing to do with this particular group.
It is that simple.
Mark opined in wrote:

Is THAT so!
Gee. I guess I was talking about the intent of the original coders... and while it's archaic NOW... I dont seem to recall ANYONE being able to pass an image attachment on here or the Mustang NG and plenty have tried.
So, wouldnt you accept the rule is dont do it, because it's NOT OFTEN going to work?!!!! Never mind that SOME news servers MIGHT accept and pass it on, what good is that?
Thanks for helping, anyway.

LOL! looks like Fido found a bone Bob

Bob wrote:

True.... anyway, I love a challenge.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

Yea, it is.

Once again, it has to do with each server that decides to carry this group. Do you think the world connects to a central usenet repository or something? This group is replicated on thousands of servers across the world. Each one of those servers determines whether or not to strip binaries from a particular group. It's even possible that the server of the originating poster strips the binaries, hence it won't propogate at all. This is rarely the case however.