NY emissions testing "Not Ready"

Hello, NY state just started emissions testing using the OBD2 interface. My 2003 Focus, which has never had a problem, much less thrown a code, but failed because the "OBD Monitor Readiness Status" showed "Not Ready" for 5 tests. The service tech said it was probably related to not being "driven enough". I went to the Ford dealer and he said that he has been innundated with similar complaints since the state program started, but agreed that the car was probably not "driven enough".

I have an OBD-2 tool and it shows no codes (P0000), no MIL, non-continous tests as done "YES", but the same 5 "continuous tests" as "NO". This was done after I got home. I ran the test on my 1995 Windstar which had also been recently run around town and got the same results.

I will leave the laptop on when I drive longer tomorrow to see what happens, but can anyone shed some light on just what it takes from a drive cycle standpoint to get these indicators to show "Ready" ???????

BTW the 5 tests are Catalyst, Evaporative System, O2 Sensor, O2 heater and EGR

There appear to be only 5 tests in total

Reply to
Plato

Did you recently change the battery or pull the terminals off so the car lost electric power ? The computer in obd-2 cars gather some data that is collected while the car is in use. This can take a couple days or more, depending on driving style. If you disconnect the battery, these settings are lost and it has to collect data from scratch. Having an emissions test done by using obd-2 only right after you lost power for some reason will make you fail the test. Now, if the dealer says he has been innundated with this complaint, something else might be going on.

Rein

Battery never disconnected, never even had a reason to put the scan tool on this car before it failed. Next time I'm in it I will take a look at the other OBD2 data that is being reported to see if something basic is missing like speed or ECT which would keep it from completeing the driving cycle. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Reply to
Plato

For closure on this, I think the problem was that i had removed the fuse for the A/C clutch for the winter and this must have upset the computer because once I put it back I got the ready indications.

Reply to
Plato

Why on earth would you remove the A/C fuse. When it drops below 40 deg or so, it drops out anyway. You also need the A/C to help in defrosting the windshield. It is also good for the system to be operated a occasionally to keep the oil distributed in the system and the seals lubed. Now you've found another good reason to just let the damn thing work the way the engineers designed it. The A/C system is wired into the ECM and other parts of the system including the throttle.

Reply to
lugnut