OBD-II scan tool

Hi,
I would like people's experience on various tools for reading OBD-II codes.
Are the handheld ones sufficient or the computer (Autotap) interfaces are
better?
Are some brands/models just not good?
Thank you,
Eric Girard
I have worked with 3 hand-helds: Snap-On's MT-25, a Genisys, and a cheapie Actron CP9135. The Actron will display monitor status, identify global (only) DTCs, and nothing else (it does not conform to SAE standards). The Genisys has a color display, tons of features, and seems to be horribly picky about the ground pin of the ALDL; it refused to cooperate with maybe 25% of the cars I've tried to use it on. I hate to say it, but I prefer the Snap-on, which uses swappable maker-specific cartridges (extra $$) that allow reading of manufacturer DTCs. It allows watching real-time signals, freeze frame, etc, and usually offers useful diagnostic hints based on present codes for the specific vehicle.
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 04:51:47 -0600, gagir wrote:

In article

MT-2500 or MT-2500G

Snap-On hasn't had separate brand specific cartriges for quite a few years. Domestic and Asian, yes, European imports, yes, but even the domestic OBD2 cartrige will do genric Asian OBD2.

Now that-would- be a separate cartrige (Trouble shooter) that does cost extra $$$.$$