OBD II tool

In the past, I've been looking for an inexpensive but fairly flexible OBD II tool. But sorta gave up for a while.

Then this moring I saw an infomercial for this thing called CarMD, and I started browsing again. While I'm not interested in the CarMD product, I did think it was kind of neat. But limited.

Then I started seeing readers for as low at $30! One from Actron. Read only though. But once you hit about $55 then capabilities and features start really building up.

Anyway, the tool I'm thinking of the Equus 3100. It's available for about $85 from a number of places (even Wal-Mart, which makes it easy to return if I don't like it) and seems to be fairly well featured.

Anyone have one of these and have any feelings about it? Or any other inexpensive tool like it? I'm not looking for a professional tool, just a home mechanic tool, and want to keep it between $50-$75, but like I said, the Equus 3100 looks promising.

Oh, I own or have access to about 8 vehicles between mine, my kids, and family members, so flexibility is a concern. Units that say you have to register you single vehicle are ruled right out!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y

I bought this one

back in '06 (for half what Amazon wants now), and have been quite pleased with it. It works on my '02 Escape, my SO's '02 Sebring, and my mother's '01 Honda, no problem. I brought it to work a few times and hooked it up to numerous cars and trucks over the years, and have yet to find one it wouldn't read.

Here's a review:

and here are all the features:

A Google search found a couple of places selling it for about $145.

-- SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

You can get one that has an adapter box and cables that plug into your iPod, iPhone and presumably iPad, along with an appropriate app. You may want to look into one of these.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

It appears that the 31xx is a whole series of tools with different capabilities. Yes, I'd like a more expensive one, but I really do want to keep under $75. It's just that the 3100 at $85 is close to my budget and seems to be a pretty decent tool.

Reply to
Mike Y

If all you want are codes, UIF makes U380 [2004 and earlier] or U480 [adds CAN], check eBay for prices [less than $40]. You need to look the codes up in the book or on the internet. Not much of a burden for the price difference.

Reply to
John Keiser

The cheap UIF series [w or w/o CAN] gives basic codes; look up in the included book or online. Less than $40.

Reply to
John Keiser

I bought the Auto X-Ray EZLink Pro several years back - when I owned OBD1 standard vehicles - it reads OBD1 and OBD2 and although not cheap, has been worth every cent. I bought it used and IIRC I paid $185.

Thinking about getting the CAN upgrade.

Reply to
clare

Harbor freight has one that will do live data for around $120 wait for the sale and the 20% off coupon Got mine for just below $100

it has helped me to diagnose stuff seeing it happen real time I will never get another scanner new again without live data capability.

bob

Reply to
bob u

In order to get many of their best offers, you need to sign up for their e-mail or snail mail (preferred) mailing list. I'm looking through their August mailer now and I see 3 Cen-Tech units on sale until August 26th.

But you should seriiously consider putting down the extra money for the extended warranty if you buy from HF. I'm struggling to recall the last electronic device I bought from HF that survived 6 months, especially with the Chicago Electric brand.

Reply to
Tim J.

Well, on some items you get what you pay for I got a 4.5" angle grinder on black Friday for $6.99 it works, but it sounds Like bunch of ball bearings thrashing around in a can. Light duty only. But its functional

I got a power gear drive lug nut remover. had it for a year of so and went to use it on a tough to get off lug nut, it snapped in half.

But overall, i have a lot of hand tools, sockets, wrenches and such that i am VERY happy with for the use i get out of them.

I got a front end tool set for my taurus and got my tie rods off and such for a reasonable price

The OBD2 scanner has been flawless so far.

snap on its NOT! but it allows the average DIY to afford a wide range of tools most humans could not cost justify.

bob

Reply to
bob u

Mike, if you haven't bought a code scanner yet, I have one like the one on Ebay right now and it works great for my 93 Taurus. Here is the item number

1806458562978 If you search for the SunPro CP9015 Code Scanner for Ford, you can read the specs on it and even buy it.
Reply to
lhasaluvers

I think the one I got was off Amazon.com -- around $50. Bear in mind you do not have to get one that all the codes stored in English. Once it give you the number you can easily look it up on the Net. Saves a lot of money.

Reply to
Sheldon