odd Idle only with heater on without fan on windsater any ideas ?

I have a 1996 windstar with an odd Idle only with heater on without fan on any ideas ? The A/C stopped working about a year aago (I believe just low on freon and sensor shut off the compressor) not sure if thats
when the problem started or not thanks for any help, send answer to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com. Scott