odd tempo starting problem

1994 auto 4cyl tempo, starts once in any weather but if i need to shut it off it will not start again for 30 minutes- the interior lights stay on and don't dim when it fails to start, i can hear the 2 second whine of
either the fuel pump or starter(not sure which, as i know little about cars)and there is no clicking noise. the wires seem o.k. at the connections, the battery is 4 years old, though. the car has never stalled in traffic.is it battery, starter, solenoid, or what? i appreciate the help. thanks

sounds like a heat related solenoid failure though there have been recent instances posted here that reflect bad connection of the solenoid engage terminal (which is on the starter solenoid)
now that you mention it, and i recall another post, my car does run real hot. my radiator has a small leak and the thermostat is god knows how old. i also hear the whine of a worn bearing in the water pump. is this what you mean by heat related? i just need this car to run 2 more months before i go to iraq and can afford a car when i get back. thanks again for your help.

nope... That's a whole different problem - or two. I was referring to a wiring problem... perhaps the small wire to the starter
See if there's someone in your outfit that knows cars, they may be able to help you out.

Oh... and good luck and be safe!