Odometer stuck @ 108K Miles? Help

1994 Tbird, odometer stuck @ 108K Miles, had tried reseting trip-gauge and it still won't start to count miles.

Anyone have a suggestion to try and force it back to working?

Also, replacement including labor on this would cost?

thanks

Reply to
Bob Brown

Odo in my '94 'Boid LX V8 "stuck" at 64k mi.

My local dealer wanted about $220 for a new speedo with mileage preset (before labor). Maybe $320 installed.

I found a 94 V6 in a junkyard, got the cluster. Then toyed with the broken speedo to see if I could work on it. I couldn't get anything done with it. You'd have to see it ...

So I installed the junkyard speedo, and my odo mileage went from 64k to 222k in a matter of minutes, and without s'much as turning the ignition key. :-)

If you have to go that route, take pictures of the

2 speedos together to document what you're doing. Look for state forms for speedo/odo change. May be illegal in certain states. May be illegal to breathe, I just dunno.

Cheers, Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Puddin' Man

If its stuck, there is no repair, just replacement. If you want an estimate call the dealership that you think will perform the repairs, but probably around $500 for the repairs..

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

$500 is 60% the value of the car. At that's with a full tank of gas!

Reply to
Bob Brown

Well clusters arent cheap, and some require factory to set the odometer before sending to dealer.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Is the speedometer working? (I assume it's a mechanical Spedo/ODO) If so the ODO gears may be worn out, then I'd pull it and try to get a working used one. You may be able to transplant parts.

Reply to
Some O

The only other way is to scout the boneyards for a cluster with a similar mileage. It may or not be good once you find one, especially on a car of this vintage.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I found an entire cluster with dissimilar mileage for $16 and a little wrench-time.

Incidentally, the cluster is all "electronic", but the linkage between the speedo and odo is gear-driven and enclosed in plastic frame.

Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Speedometer does work. Odometer stuck @ 108,101 miles I wonder if that number means something weird?

Reply to