Oil

I apologize if this subject was discussed here before. But my ISP does not keep messages for too long.
I just picked up my new Explorer. I checked the oil
requirements and it says 5W20. It's first time I've seen such light oil in the car. On the next oil change I want to put synthetic in. What viscosity should I use?
The reason is that I lease this car and I put only about 6000 miles a year, so I just want to reduce the number of oil changes without killing the engine. Basically I want to change the oil once and forget about it till the lease is over.
Only 5W20 I have seen in Synthetic was from Havoline. Motorcraft makes the 5W20 that is a partial synthetic costs about $1.70 per qt at wally world.

my
such
6000
changes
oil
and keep links

idea...
half hour each

sludge build due

car if driven at

but if you only

the
to contend

My commute is 1.2 miles to the train station. Weekends may be 50 miles or so. Some long trips to other states on occasion. And pulling the boat (4500 lb) on the trips of 300 miles couple times a year. And I don't care about the next owner. However I would like to keep the engine in good condition. Do I need synthetic at all?
Boris Nogoodnik opined

If that 50 miles is pretty much weekly and continuous without the car cooling down much, I'd say you could go with Mobil 1 and do 7500 miles..
Heck, just use dino and change the oil just before the boating trip

cooling
You should change the oil in your vehicle at a quarterly interval every 3K to 5K miles. Changing the oil in your vehicle at a quarterly interval will help keep the enigine at its best shape and running "clean" no matter how many miles you put on your vehicle per year. Mobil 1 or Texaco/Havoline are one of the best motor oil out there. I'd go with Mobil 1 as well.

every
The quarterly interval is bull. When the truck is just sitting there, the oil is not breaking down at any appreciable rate.

Texaco/Havoline
Do you have any evidence that there really is good reason to change the oil? As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no need to change the oil every 3 months if you put less than 3000 mi. on it.
Jeff

Jeff Utz opined

It AINT the "sitting there", it's the 1.5 mile commute.
I explained that above.

There still is no reason to change the oil more than every 3000 mi. Especially in lease.
Jeff
Actually you should change every three to four months. There is plenty of proof out there. Do a google search. I was surprised my self when a couple of years ago Car and Driver did a review of different oils and how they break down over time. It is not the sitting there that breaks them down but little use is almost as bad as a lot of use, and hard use you should change it more often.
ChrisW
Jeff Utz wrote:

my
such
6000
changes
oil
problems with the

oil once

It's my 3-rd lease. They don't care how often you change oil. They simply auction the car at the lease end and nobody owes anyone anything. There is no need to present any maintanance records. But anyway, I would like to keep the engine in good condition, despite that I am only going to use it for 3 years. Changing oil is not a big deal. Takes only few minutes. I just thought that I can use synthetic, as they say it's good for 25,000 miles. Is this a BS claim?

Who makes the claim? Who's they?
According to Mobil1 (http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp --> Why Synthetics -> Myths), you should still change your oil as often as you would with regular oil, although you can go for the longest distance (e.g., the distance for normal use as opposed to the distance for the severe use). I think I would go like 5,000 mi. between oil changes with Mobil1 with your hard miles, but I would not go any longer. You will get a lot of different opinions.
However, Amsol says 25,000 mi. http://www.togernet.com/amsoil/products/10w30.htm .
And they aren't the only ones: http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/synth.html
In your case, I would change it at 12,500 intervals.
Jeff

mech
at
oil
of
I think there are a lot of mechanics who really believe you have to change oil at 3k mi. I don't agree with them (although I do agree changing your oil often enough and using good, quality oil is very important). Of course, what often enough means is the question.
Personally, I use synthetic and change it every 5 k mi or so.
Jeff

Virtually every new car here in South Africa has oil change intervals of either 15000km (9375mi) or 20000km (12500mi) minimum, and I think one or two makes may even have 30000km (18750mi) intervals (possibly on synthetic oil).
I'm unusual in that I like to change my oil every 7500km (4700mi).
Graeme
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough
How long do cars usually last out there? Do you think there is any difference?

Hi Boris, if you want some real good info on oils than you will HAVE to visit bobistheoilguy.com and also read and/or post on their forums: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php