Oil change splatter on 99 Explorer

hi all, My daughter has a 99 explorer that I have changed oil on twice. Both times have not been pleasant. The V6 engines oil plug is on the side of the pan, and when you take the plug out the oil shoots out against
the frame of the front end and splatters everywhere. Theres no way to catch the oil, or most of it and it makes a grand mess. I dont know why Ford didnt just put the drain plug in the bottom of the pan, problem solved. Anyone got any ideas of how to make this a better and cleaner job? Or do they sell a elbow plug or something to point the oil draining toward the oil bucket. Thanks for listening. kevin

What category does the Explorer fall into?
Ever look at the oil pan of a vehicle that's been used off-road? Or run over a few curbs?
I feel your pain.. but if it bothers you that much, try cutting a piece of rain gutter to deflect the oil down into the drain pan
you pay..DEAL with it!

Frank:
You might get better advice on: rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
These folks don't like 'trucks' here.
Jay

Let me re-phrase the last line to: You would be better served on the other NG as there are more Explorer owners there.
Jay
Jay wrote:

I disagree. We love Ford trucks. Any & all general repair & discussion welcome.
Now... if you want to start in on lift kits, performance, production issues, mods specific to Explorers... well, visit over at the Explorer group and there will be a lot more enthusiasm is all.
Rob
I have changed oil on the same type vehicle, and not noticed it hitting the frame, but you can just cut a piece of cardboard, crease it down the middle, then use it to deflect the oil stream into your catch basin.

You asked, so if you want to go to the trouble.....have a shop drill a hole thru your drain plug; weld, braze, a steel pipe elbow ( w/outlet facing down ) with 1/8-inch pipe threads & plug. Drain the initial oil thru this plug--then drain last oil by removing original, modified plug. Remember, you asked! HTH, s

Besides, how difficult is it to simply deflect the oil as already suggested? I have even seen special oil catch basins that have something similar built in, but the cardboard is free.