oil gauge problems

i have a 99 ford ranger.when i start it the oil gauge won't registure anything until i rev it then it will bounce there is no knocking sounds and it is full of oil after running awhile 5 to 10 minutes it goes to normal.then the temp gauge goes up.so what is my problem

Reply to
scrumpy99

My first thought is the sending unit ain't all it could be. My second guess would involve the wiring. Third would be the gauge itself. But my money's on the sending unit.

I would get somebody to check your actual oil pressure from startup with a mechanical gauge just to make sure it's not accurately reporting a lubrication problem.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

The gauge isn't real. See:

Check pressure output with a mechanical gauge, to make certain you have actual pressure. If you want to monitor actual oil pressure while driving, search some Mustang or Ford truck forums for the conversion instructions to a real OP gauge.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

I recommend you buy/install a mechanical oil-pressure gauge. These are not expensive and are easy to install. These gauge kits usually come with plastic tubing, but I suggest you buy the copper tubing kit. Using a real oil-pressure gauge will leave no doubts about your engines oil-pressure. If you want to keep the 'idiot light type' gauge, a brass 'tee' can be installed on the block then both the electrical and the mechanical guages will function. Of course only believe what the real gauge shows......

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt