Oil Leak? Burning Oil?

I have a 1993 Topaz / Tempo 4 cylinder engine. I was told the front engine seal was leaking, paid $300 to get it installed. However my car is still using about 5 quarts of oil per tank of gas. I took it back to the mechanic. The people told me there was an internal problem causing blowby. The oil is leaking out the back of the engine.

If I have blowby doen't that mean the oil is getting into the cylanders? Shouldn't I see tons of blue smoke.

They claim there is a hose coming out of the engine that should go to the air cleaner where the oil is supose to go, however it is not hooked up causing the oil to fall on the ground and not get burned.

Something does not sound right to me.

Could this be a bad head gasket? (Not using anti-freeze).

Thanks,

Ross

Reply to
Ross Himes

sounds like you have no idea about cars, the mechanics saw this, and knew you would believe anything they told you.the front seal was leaking. they fixed it. now the rear sear is leaking,because they did not drop the oil pan, they simply lowered the front enough to change the seal, therby disturbing the rear seal,causing it to leak. to cover their original screw up, they tell you you have blowby, and need an engine rebuild. if they did not hook up the pcv valve and hose, they bypassed a polution device, and should be reported to the epa, and better buisness bureau

Reply to
Falcoon

And get it properly fixed at no extra cost to you. The contract was to fix the leak, not fit seal! Remember that and sue them if they get difficult. Good luck.

Reply to
Blown Fuse

That is caused by poor piston ring sealing. Depending on how bad the rings are, you will not see any smoke.

The Tempo/Topaz oil pan seal is known for leaks, perhaps the original leak was misdiagnosed and the oil pan should have been resealed and not the front crank seal.

Reply to
Thomas Moats