Oil Usage

I have a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis with the 5.0 and AOD, of course. It has 209,000+ miles. While it still runs great and shifts firmly, it does use
quite a bit of oil, about a quart every 400-500 miles. I wish it was a leak, but it's not.
Ordinarily you can't see any visible smoke, but when you're accelerating moderately or more you can see a mild to moderate fog behind you.
I've never been a snake oil kind of guy, but I've never had a car with mileage this high. Would something like STP be advisable? Considering that winter is setting in, I don't really like the thoughts of thickening the oil or using a higher viscosity (I still use the recommended 10w30), but perhaps the benefits would outweigh the dangers.
Thanks in advance,
CJB

I am far from an expert in this matter but I own a '90 Grand Marquis with 140k on it. I have been using Lucas Oil Stabilizer for quite a while now at every oil change. It replaces one quart, 4 quarts oil, one quart Lucas. The car does not burn one drop of oil.
I know I might be wrong but for all the years I have been driving, over 40, this is the one additive that I have complete confidence in and believes it works.
cyclops opined

Good info. You've used it in a tranny?
CJB

CJB opined in

OD Slip in summer heat, 50,000 miles so far no problems Also installed aftermarket cooler
This is the same stuff as the engine stuff?
CJB

N o, it's for AT use!
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid )&catid=2&loc=show
CJB opined in