Oil Weight??????????

Page 2 of 2

Actually most of us are not operating our car in a manner that requires the severe service schedule, no matter what Jiffy Lube would like you to believe. Here is what Ford has to say:
SPECIAL OPERATING CONDITIONS
Items Needing Special Attention
If you operate your Ford/Lincoln/Mercury primarily in one of the more demanding "Special Operating Conditions" listed below, you will need to have some items maintained more frequently. If you only occasionally operate your vehicle under these conditions, it is not necessary to perform the additional maintenance. For specific recommendations, see your dealership service advisor or qualified service professional.
*Towing a trailer or using a camper or car-top carrier Every 3,000 miles or 3 months Change engine oil and replace oil filter .....
*Extensive idling and/or low-speed driving for long distances as in heavy commercial use such as delivery, taxi, patrol car or livery Every 3,000 miles, 3 months or 200 hours of engine operation Change engine oil and replace oil filter .....
*Operating in dusty conditions such as unpaved or dusty roads Every 3,000 miles or 3 months Change engine oil and replace oil filter .....
*Use of E85 50% of the time or greater (flex fuel vehicles only) Every 3,000 miles or 3 months Change engine oil and replace oil filter ....
How many people primarily operate their vehicles in one of the more demanding "Special Operating Conditions?" Not many. I know I don't.
Ed
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 14:27:38 -0400, "bernsax"

It is said that 5W20 exist for CAFE standards only. Ford's recommended 5w20 is a synthetic blend to tolerate the heat in current engines. 5W20 is great for quick lubrication during startup and warmup. There should be no problem using it. I have always used 5W30 in my 3.0 engines. The first 3 had well over 250K miles when the cars were sold or traded. The current Sable is over 90K with no problems. The 3.0 is about a bulletproof as any engine on the market. My only problems with the engine have been a couple of water pumps and thermostats, and an oil pan gashet.. If it were not for my wife having no respect for a car during wakeup/warmup before hitting the throttle, I would probably use 10W30 like I use in my trucks. I would not use anything heavier unless it is a heavy drinker. You won't go wrong with either weight unless you live in a pretty cold climate.
Lugnut

The use of 5w20 was mandated by manufacturers to get their overall fleet mileage up to comply with mileage regulations .
I have always used 5w30 in my vehicles (synthetic ) summer and winter.As a matter of fact syntheic does not even thicken until ambient reaches around -45*F.(Mobil 1)
I am in an area which is predominantly cool or cold 9 months of the year.(Ontario, Canada)
The higher # of the oil has absolutely no bearing on the cold start characteristics of the oil.
The lower # is what determines the start-up viscosity of the oil, when cold.
When the engine gets to operating temperature then the long chain polymers act like a #30 oil.
In my opinion ? you`re better off with 5w30 because the slightly heavier weight of the oil gives better protection then 5w20 when the engine is hot.

Can you back up this opinion with evidence that engines are better protected with 5w30 than 5w20?
Jeff