Ok, I'm open minded

Page 3 of 4
You are free to believe whatever you wish. All I can tell you is the only time we used toyota parts in my shops was when they were covered by the
warranty. After that we used after market parts, that generally cost us less then Toyota parts we could buy at the dealer discounted rate.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:49:36 -0500, "Mike Hunter"

And when I was a Toyota tech we used Toyota parts about 90+% of the time, and the cost per mile for repairs was still WAY cheaper than for Chevy of the same time period. The dang things just did NOT break if they were maintained. I could count on the thumbs of both hands how many engines we replaced over a TEN YEAR period. That's right - TWO. Trannies? I replaced 2 - one because a LubeShop drained the wrong oil (early Tercel) and one because the DIY customer did the same.
I rebuilt a few high milers when bearings got noisy in the gearbox. Rebuilt a few high mile engines too - but my shop sure was not busy with overhauls like a lot of shops in the city were in those years (both domestic and foreign)
ANY vehicle can easily be run up to very high mileage, if properly maintained. I own a '41, '64, 71 and an '83 that are all in fine condition, with from 100,000 to nearly 300,000, miles on them, because I make sure they are properly maintained, what's your point? Besides todays vehicle are far better than they built back in those days.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:31:48 -0500, "Mike Hunter"

What's my point? Chevy isn't necessarily cheaper than Toyota. The parts may cost a bit more, but my experience was fewer parts were required.
Might well be because I maintained my customers' Toyotas better than other shops maintained their customers cars? Quite possible. I know they had some of the lowest cost-per-mile transportation in SouthWestern Ontario.
And yes, they DO make 'em better today than they did in the eighties - which doesn't change anything assuming the american mfgrs improved as much as Toyota, and assuming today's (Toyota) dealerships are as diligent in caring for their customers needs as we were then.
Good for you. Our shops had the most efficient operating costs as well. That is why many corporate and government fleets, in the six eastern states where we operated, did business with us rather than operating the own serviced facilities or having their units serviced at the dealerhips.

Covered by *what* warranty?
Toyota MDT in MO
What warranty do YOU think covers Toyota vehicles, GMs warranty? LOL
wrote:

Covered by *what* warranty?
Toyota MDT in MO
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:16:24 -0500, "Mike Hunter"

I'm assuming you were a Toyota dealer? Also assuming you are not today. Dealers were/are required to sell dealer parts. Not ONLY dealer parts, but there are numbers to be maintained to keep a dealership.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hard to tell what Mike Hunter is saying here...
Could be that he's describing a Toyota dealership that only used OEM parts when it was a warranty job, meaning any paying customers, had they been expecting genuine OEM parts, were likely defrauded. Most dealerships have a body shop, I wonder what the non warranty customers were expecting there...
Could be he's describing a shop other than a dealership, but then the issue of performing warranty work outside a franchised dealership raises some doubts.
I've worked in 4 dealerships in the last 30 years, I've never seen a sales manager that knew or was even allowed to meddle in the goings on in the back departments other than to hand the service manager internal repair orders for new and used car set-ups.
Me thinks Mr. Hunter tends to embellish to further his pro domestic vehicle agenda.
Perhaps you are confused because you do not know I am 83 years old and worked all my life in the all three aspects of the automotive business.
I have an engineering degree and worked as a field engineer for VW of America untill VW stopped make cars in Pennsylvania. After that I worked for thirty year as an automobile design engineer for GM and Ford.
After I retired I worked for ten years as Group Sales Manger over seeing one of the largest multi-franchised sale groups on the eastern coast that sold just about any brand you can name. The partners owned multi-franchised dealerships in six states. One location in Pennsylvania has FIFTEEN brands, one in Virginia has TWELVE when the partners owned the stores. They have since sold out to others
During my last three years there I started my fleet service business with a partner, who I eventually bought out that grew to twenty six fleet service shops in those same six states, that I ran for a total of ten years before I sold it a few year ago.
I KNOW the automobile business

I KNOW my 84 Rabbit was built in Westmoreland.............
Do you still own that Rabbit?
wrote:

I KNOW my 84 Rabbit was built in Westmoreland.............

You've got to be kidding...with the anti-corrosion applications that VWA decided were unnecessary?

That was a rhetorical question. We gave Rabbits to the PA State Police. They were returned to us after a time because troopers were smashing at high speed in wet weather.
To this day the PSP will not use any of the FWD cars they have as pursuit vehicles, after having the same problem on wet and icy roads with the FWD Fords and Chevys, given to them by the feds under the federal "55 Alive" program, back in the day ;)
wrote:

You've got to be kidding...with the anti-corrosion applications that VWA decided were unnecessary?

I know how old you are.

1988
2018

2028
<yawn>

2040 (ish)

You don't even know what year it is...
Duh! I was born in 1926, earned my degree in 1951 worked for Bethlehem Steel and GM before I worked for VW, retired from Ford in 1986.

If you recall my previous post, I said we used OEM parts for WARRANTY claims, after the warranty expired we used lower cost aftermarket parts, when available.
I sold my business a few years ago. Our fleet service shops were authorized warranty providers for all domestic manufactures and the foreign brands that also sell to fleets. We were only required the use OEM parts for warranty work, have our techs certified by the manufacturer(s) and buy of the required special tools to be listed as a warranty provider, same requirements for dealerships even today.

Thank you. Without further explanation the original statement didn't make sense, hence my question. I've never been witness to a fleet that performed their own manufacturer's warranty repair. It seems like a lot of work and $ to go through when you could hire low paid drivers to shuttle cars back to the dealership(s) instead. Did your fleet purchase agreements eliminate dealership warranty service as an option to save money?
Toyota MDT in MO

If someone is a warranty provider (whether it is for cars, TVs or anything else), the manufacturer pays the warranty provider for parts and labor to make the repairs.
Jeff
I don't know about TVs but when it comes to vehicles, the manufacturers reimburse at predetermined part prices, time allowed, and shop rates, not what it may cost the provider to do the work.