Old Ford Radios

Does anyone post to this group about older cars anymore? I just wanted to know it if it was worth my posting?

I own a 68 Ford Galaxie 500 and wondered if anyone had ever found a modern radio that would fit in the original dash opening of 1968 full sized Fords?

Before I give into the hidden radio option or expensive conversion of my radio to FM, I wanted to give the search for a modern radio one more try!

Thanks

Ivan

Reply to
ivanogburn

I think you're going to be out of luck on that one. IIRC, even the factory AM\FM radio took a different instrument cluster lens due to the band selector. I remember seeing aftermarket radios installed in those cars and they looked really bad. I don't know that anyone ever made a replacement specifically for that car. 1965-6, 67,

68, and 69-70 full size Fords had very specific and unique radios. Your only options are a factory AM\FM radio or a conversion. As far as conversions go, I can't see them costing much more than a good aftermarket radio. Gary Tayman, who is a frequent poster here, does conversions of vintage car radios. He would be the man to ask.
Reply to
Tom Adkins

Oops, wrong group. Gary posts frequently to rec.antiques.radio+phono. His website is

.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Do a bit of searching - I've seen companies that make radios for those older cars with non-standard bezels, knob placements (both knobs at one end) and even odder like mounted vertically or on an angle...

Not a lot of choices (one or two per face format) and not all the fancy features (and not cheap) but they are out there. Call the Restoration Parts houses like Dearborn Classics.

Now you know why the aftermarket audio industry got the Feds to mandate a standardized horizontal radio opening and mounting system in newer cars - that was Detroit's attempt to be the only source of the radios, so they could charge whatever they wanted for them.

Which sometimes isn't bad - at least till the car is older and all the oddball radio models are all discontinued...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

if you look, you will eventually find a stock radio for your car. it took me

Reply to
Tom

One might try I CO Whitney, as well

mike