OMG..2002 Taurus, Transmission.. The Rub Board thumpy noise and feeling?

It's a ''AX4N'' Transmission in a 2002 Ford Taurus.

It's that rub-board sound in 4th gear when you're just crusing along, up/down hills straight/curves all give the sound/feeling of "rub-board blop-bloop-blap-blap-bloop, repeating with the in and out rub board feeling. It kinda feels like it's going from 4th to 3rd and basck to forth but it's just that slight hisatation feeling.

It changes from 1,2,3 to 4 perfectly fine, no issues. It's the 4th gear when I've reached more than say 40-45 MPH. It's not constant but when it happens I cringe in fear.

I'm worried because it reminds me EXACTYLY how my 1994 Thunderbird was, the tranny did the rub board so bad for so long it got to be rediculous. I had decided to do the complete overhaul of the tranny. MY LUCK we got rear ended so good the Insurance company totaled the T-bird which allowed me to buy the 2002 Taurus, with a few extra bucks of course.

The car has around 80K miles and I am sure it was a ental car, but cannot prove this even with CarFax which was a big fat waste of money and time. I don't know how CarFax has stayed in business this long with it's non-informative results. Sorry for the CarFax rant, please forgive as I am beginning to get that 'I am out of control'

I am a magnet for problems with cars.

Reply to
Pedro Sanchez IV

It hard to "feel" your rub-board complaints without being in your car. But I had the same fear with a 2001 Ford Escape. Seemed to be shifting back and forth between 40-45 going up hill with a load. Stopped if I turned off overdrive. [Is that an option for you?]I changed the transmission fluid but didn't help. I then ran an OBDII scan and found a misfire. Changed one COP and everything is fine. Maybe you will be so lucky too.

Reply to
John Keiser

tHANKS

I d>It hard to "feel" your rub-board complaints without being in your car.

Reply to
Pedro Sanchez IV