on EEC-IV, what does code 211 mean?

what does code 211, M) Ignition PIP signal was erratic or missing - Ignition Systems mean??
thanks

koolaid opined in

The PiP is the pulse from your distributor pickup used to calc RPM, fire injectors and calc timing advance signal to be sent back to the TFI or ignition module
so what does that mean to replace then?
thanks :)
by the way it's the 88 taurus 3.0
koolaid opined in

You almost got a blast from me..
But you didnt say WHY you read the codes... menaing what the car is doing
That would help.
Whatever, if you insist on learning the hard way, I refuse to play :)
First.. it could likely be either the TFI or the pickup in the distributor
first remove the tfi.. uses a small knob-wrench avail for about 5 bucks.
if the coating is solid and caky, the thing is probably bad but you can try to reuse it by scraping and cleaning off the cake and applying fresh heat- sink grease. AKA Dielectric Grease
If the engine misses intermittently even when cold, however, dont bother.
I suggest you go to a junk yard and get a distributor complete with tfi to fit your year and engine.
Dont replace the whole thing, use it for parts and you wont have to worry about the timing
sorry b/c it's running lean
koolaid opined in

so ...
you ALSO have lean codes?
Dammit!
WHAT ELSE?!!!!!!!
You're the poster child!
READ BELOW and start over!
koolaid opined in

Subject: FAQ: How to get help from this board.
If you have a problem with your car and want to see what others who might have some experience or knowledge to help you solve it or help you decide what to do about it, PLEASE post ALL the information you have.
While computer geeks world-wide are working feverishly on the application, no progress has yet been made on the ability to read minds over the net.
Year made, make, model, engine
FULL symptoms.. when it happens and any other info that seems unusual, whether or not it seems related.
This wont cut it:
"My car wont start, can anyone tell me why?"
Neither will:
"My 92 Taurus 3.8 cranks but start, I pulled the codes and none of them seem to have anything that helps solve the problem."
"I have fuel pressure and spark"
The above is STILL too general, if you know the codes from the computer, you should include them. You may well have missed something.
Bear in mind:
The REASON most of us frequent these boards is to share what we know, exercise our minds analysing problems, and learn something in the process.
It's hard to do that when you dont have all the facts.
If you want MODIFICATION or performance info on a specific type or model of ford, try the FAQ on "Ford Links"
it does the same thing cold or hot, backfires on acceleration, takes 3 or 4 times to start but it won't do it every day, all the time. i did wait for the car to warm up. i ran the computer test i think i did it wrong and it said knock sensor, pip, something about lean, and unable to control idle
but i think i pressed the throttle for the snap test at the wrong time
thanks anyway :)
koolaid opined in

forget the pip for now... you have a vacuum leak... it idles high, right?
To verify this pump the accel a couple times while cranking... it will set to "rich" during the start and probably fire up quicker.
Check for cracks all hoses and couplers
it does idle high but it doesnt backfire/not accelerate all the time
"Koolaid1" wrote: > it does idle high but it doesnt backfire/not accelerate all > the time
I also get Code 211 from time to time, usually when the engine completely cuts out while driving. Here is the info on the car:
1995 Mustang GT (5.0L) with Auto The car is more or less stock (changed the exhaust and radiator for performance parts)
I also (much more frequently) get lean codes. They dont happen all at once, but if I go for a month without clearing the codes, all four O2 sensors will have said "lean" at some point. I get knocking at hard acceleration, also (I use only 93 octane gas).
The car was running hotter than normal, which is why I changed the radiator for a larger, aluminium one.
The exhaust was changed because a header got cracked (the Ford dealership, which had the car at the time, cant explain it....). I went with a complete Bassani exhaust (headers to tailpipes).
Any suggestions? Thanks, Chuck Martin MustangChuck