One less Cobra...

Page 1 of 2
Two ejected, killed as antique car hits pole Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel
January 23, 2005
Two people were killed Saturday night when their antique roadster struck
a pole, ejecting them both from the convertible.
The pair died in the 4200 block of Polk Street just after 8 p.m., according to Hollywood police spokesman Capt. Tony Rode.
The two were not immediately identified, but Rode said the driver was a middle-age Broward County man. The female passenger was not yet identified late Saturday night.
Witnesses told police they saw the 1966 Ford Cobra driving west at a high rate of speed. The car hit the center median and went airborne briefly before the $200,000 sports car hit a concrete utility pole. The pair were thrown and pronounced dead at the scene.
Rode said no other cars were involved.
Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @ http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

Don't ya just LOVE when papers call something "Antique"? "Antique" means 100 years or over.......the 1966 Cobra is a "Classic" You would think a god damn journalist would know this.......
(...)

Actually, antique means "a manufactured product (as an automobile) from an earlier period." (from www.m-w.com). (There are other definitions, as well, like in customs, where it does mean more than 100 years old.)
And, any car over 25 years old qualifies as an "antique." http://www.searchspaniel.com/index.php/Antique_car
Apparently, this "god damn journalist" knew this and used the proper terminology.
Jeff
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK wrote:

That would be incorrect when refering to cars. In most states you can get an antique plate at 25 years. Cars and furniture are quite different.
--
3) If it were My Mustang, I would have yanked
the stupid xxxxx out of her beater and beat in

For most places a antique car is 30 years and classic is 20. KB
--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup

OH CRAP!!!!!!! I didn`t even check for cross posting. KB
--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:52:04 -0600, "2.3Sleeper"

to yourself.
http://www.dmv.de.gov/services/vehicle_services/titles/ve_title_antique.shtml
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/personal/special/antique.htm
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/cpl8faqs.htm
The list goes on & on.
--
"Either kill me or take me as I am,
because I'll be damned if I ever change..."

this one. Actually on many different levels you are wrong. First go look up the dictionary definition of the word. Then go look up the usage of the word as it applies to automobiles. You'll find that you aren't right on any level.
--
"Either kill me or take me as I am,
because I'll be damned if I ever change..."
Actually.. You're only HALF right.
Main Entry: antique Pronunciation: (")an-'tEk Function: noun 1 : a relic or object of ancient times 2 a : a work of art, piece of furniture, or decorative object made at an earlier period and according to various customs laws at least 100 years ago b : a manufactured product (as an automobile) from an earlier period
Kate
| > Two ejected, killed as antique car hits pole | > Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel | > | > January 23, 2005 | > | > Two people were killed Saturday night when their antique roadster struck | > a pole, ejecting them both from the convertible. | | Don't ya just LOVE when papers call something "Antique"? | "Antique" means 100 years or over.......the 1966 Cobra is a "Classic" | You would think a god damn journalist would know this....... | | |
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK wrote:

I'm a '66 model too, and I prefer "Classic".
Even now, there just ain't that many antique cars if we apply your status quo..... 20 to 25 years is the norm in any regions I have seen. However... at my age, your perception does make me feel better...

In Ohio, they're registered as "Historic" if they are 25 years old.
When this was enacted... any car that made it 25 years deserved the title.
When my dad got in a minor accident in 53 or so, he brought home a 38 Nash as a loaner.
That was the oldest car i'd ever remembered riding in.. but I was a little kid.
And the fact that the news article said it was a 1966 tells me it was the real thing... they would have got that off the Police Report, which would have been filed from from the registration.
Jim Warman opined in

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:49:03 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

automatic transmission. Don't remember what the year was though.
My favorite ride that Pops had was a Turbo-Corvair. It was his first ever new car. He used to take that puppy out with me and drive it like a madman. Loved the hell out of that car and those particular times with my Pop.

--
"Either kill me or take me as I am,
because I'll be damned if I ever change..."
ZombyWoof wrote:

My freinds dad had a blue two speed automatic. Was a leaker as i recall.
Bob

wrote something wonderfully witty:

book, 1957, 1958 Mercury Monterey, Montclair, Turnpike Cruiser and Colony Park. The 'Old Timers' of that era still leaned toward the 3 on the tree manual transmission and influenced what we drove making today's find of a push button transmission a valuable asset.
Bill
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:24:54 GMT, "berkshire bill"

Turnpike Cruiser sort of an Aquamarine & Cream color. While not the right color, it looked like this http://www.57heaven.com/Turnpike.html
After the engine blew he parked in the side yard and we used to play in it. He eventually sold it to some guy who just stopped by to ask if it was for sale. Pops said how much ya wanna pay, it's got a blown engine. I forget what they agreed on, but the next day the guy showed up with a wrecker and dragged it away.
--
"Either kill me or take me as I am,
because I'll be damned if I ever change..."

There titles out there with the wrong year and kit cars / replicas titled as what they resemble.
Grover C. McCoury III wrote:

I could think of a LOT of worse ways to go.............
Bob
Bob Urz opined in

Why am I flashing on a "Miami Vice" scene... or something from Elmore Leonard?
Wanna bet the female passenger is less than thirty?