oooops

:roll: Should of clarified the side...its on the left

Reply to
in_auto_efficient

"in_auto_efficient" wrote in message news:9IedncmAtKzn28beRVn snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
Big Al

OK... piecing it all together (which I shouldn't have to do since it is YOU asking for help - don't be afraid to type complete messages... you aren't being charged by the pixel). Besides, you wouldn't want your reply to come in the same manner, would you...

Now that that is off my chest.... the easiest way to remove the drivers side halfshaft is to remove the passengers side shaft first. A special tool (OTC part number 7140 or similar - go here

and type 7140 into theappropriate search field to see the tool) is inserted from the passengersside and a couple of taps with a hammer and the axle is out. DO NOT REMOVETHE TOOL WITH BOTH AXLES OUT... the side gears will drop into the diff caseand you will be very unhappy. Now... why would someone go through all that work? Because the left axle is a bear to remove any other way. I have seen some DIYers "get lucky"... I have seen even more fight for days and only succeed in breaking things. The left axle sits in a recess in the housing and there is no way to find a good purchase for your prybar.

This same time would be the perfect opportunity to replace the axle seals as well as inspecting the right side axle to see if it needs any service (if either boot is showing signs of cracking or deterioration....).

Also be aware that the stubshaft can be difficult to reinstall in the hub. There is another specialty tool available for this but, with care, the task can usually be accomplished without it.

Reply to
Jim Warman

"in_auto_efficient" wrote in message news:9IedncmAtKzn28beRVn snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

I think you need to go back to the original thread and make a coherent post without starting a new thread.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff