Opinions 1996 4 cyl Ford Ranger

I have found a 1996 ford ranger XLT 4 cylinder, 5 speed, one owner with

105k mules.Owner says truck is in good condition and the interior is above average. He has replaced brakes and said he had a couple og freeze plugs replaced and they did the timing belt while they doing that. He is a little high but said he would negotiate. I would like any advice on known problems with this model or things to look for. All opinions appreciated.
Reply to
woody

I had one that was over 175,000 when a dumb kid put it in the salvage yard.

I had the clutch and throwout done about 100k. The timing belt went at 145000. No valves into the pistons but the belt took out the cam position sensor, another $150.

You are supposed to watch the transmissio for signs of the plastic plugs on top of it falling out, letting oil out and taking trans out.

Mine still didn't burn oil. I don't think it had any leaks.

Reply to
Scott

IIRC, the problem with the plastic plugs in the transmission is only applicable to the 3.0L V6 with the 5 speed Mazda transmission. It doesn't apply to the 4 cylinder trucks, unless they started using this trans in the newer trucks.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

I had the Mazda trans in the 4 cylinder. I noticed oil coming from the top of the trans about the same time I figured the throwout was shot. Believe me, they put the mazda 5 speed behind the 4 cyls.

Reply to
Scott

Where are you located? In northern areas where salt is used in the winter, the rear spring and shock mounts are very suceptable to rust. While the bed is removed for this repair, it usually leads to brake lines and a fuel sender in the fuel tank too. This is getting to be very common on mid-late 90's Rangers here in northern Ohio.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Tom Adkins wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n77g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

I live in the Southeastern US. I just looked at the truck today and it is as good as a 96 would get. Guy bought it new and it is super clean and he has all the maintenance records. I bought it for $2500 which is retail but the A/C and everything work and the timing belt was changed about

20,000 miles ago. I have been looking for awhile and I think I got a good one although anything can happen on a high mileage vehicle. This one is worth fixing if anything happens. One more question, it says sequential fuel induction and I assume that is about the same as sequential fuel injection. How is it different if so? Thanks for all the replies.
Reply to
woody

Bro, they put the M5OD in one iteration or another in every Ranger, and even the F150 from about 1988 or therabouts til now, they all use the same Masda M5OD more or less. There is an M5OD-R1, and M5OD-R2, and an M5OD-HD, but it's the same tranny more or less. And they all have/had the rubber plugs that are prone to rot out and cause catastrophic faliure when they let the ATF (that's the lube in even in this Manual Trans) leak out.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Congrats. I have a 97 that's never really seen salt either. It was in So. Ca. and now I live in the DC metro area. We rarely have snow and they usually just sand rather than salt.

With a rust free truck, and a durable drivetrain, I plan to keep mine for a LONG, LONG time. With 128k and a new clutch, it's the same as new. Even the AC will still run you out on a 95 degree day.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

That rust shouldn't be an issue then. You did good for $2500.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I've got 234,850 miles on mine. It's not cherry anymore, but I give it regular oil changes and it never needs oil between changes. I'm kind of waiting for it to die so I can get a newer one, but the blasted thing keeps going.

mike

Reply to
Michael