Opinions on the Ford CVT

I am looking at the Freestyle. It has everything I need, AWD, lots of seating room. I am a little concerned about the CVT. Don't really like the way it feels when I drive it, but am more concerned about
reliability as it's a new design for this class of car. Comments anyone?
thanks
Hal
So why not get the 6 speed auto instead?
CJB

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:20:08 GMT, "CJB"

I believe it is only available with the CVT.
Hal

The CVT tranny has been around for years and is proven technology. The only difference is, to take advantage of all the torque available, one should apply full throttle until the speed you want to attain has been reached. Flooring the throttle down shifts the tranny to its lowest range. Starting out at less then full throttle is like starting in a higher gear in a convention tranny. The CVT is standard on the AWD models.
mike hunt

My Father has a Freestyle with the CVT. It has been flawless. The CVT used in the Freestyle is a ZF design. Volvo has been selling similar transmissions for some time. I personally have a Saturn Vue with a GM CVT. The unit in the Freestyle is far superior, although I am satisfied with the GM unit (at least so far - but GM discontinued it because they had so many problems getting it right). The CVT provides superior acceleration compared to the 6 speed automatic that is optional in the FWD Freestyles. If you want AWD, you have to have the CVT.
Ed