Optional Tire?

What am I gaining, or losing, by switching to the optional tire(225 50

17) from the standard (205 55 17) ? I can get a better deal on the options. And would it be crazy or dangerous to have two standard and 2 options on the car? Just wondering. Thanks.
Reply to
JR

You need to remember that we have no idea what you are talking about.... Is this a brand new car? Is it a 2WD, a 4WD or an AWD? Is there a reason for changing the size of only two tires?

Reply to
Jim Warman

2007, 40k, front wheel drive. One correction - standard tires are 215 55 17. Optionals are 225 50 17. When I purchased this vehicle (at 30K), the front tires were worn significantly more then the rear - however,no unusual wear etc., I don't think they ever rotated the tires.
Reply to
JR

Reply to
Old Harley Rider

Your going from a tire that does about 780 revs per mile to one that does about 800. I'm unsure of what the thresh-hold for error is on your car but there is the chance that the electronics wont be able to correlate the rpm difference.

2007, 40k, front wheel drive. One correction - standard tires are 215 55 17. Optionals are 225 50 17. When I purchased this vehicle (at 30K), the front tires were worn significantly more then the rear - however,no unusual wear etc., I don't think they ever rotated the tires.
Reply to
Jim Warman

Change them all or none. The car is designed to be "ballanced" with either size all the way 'round.Safety issues could exist using 2 of each.

Reply to
clare

Check out the Mercury Marauder...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yes, Jim. Several cars out there come with different tires front to rear. HOWEVER - If they also have an optional tire size, they are also most likely different front to rear, and if so it is always best to use either all "standard" or all "optional" size.

Reply to
clare

None-the-less.... as long as tires are the same on one axle... there should be little in the way of "backlash".

When it comes to many of these things - be it fault determination parameters (how many times a problem has to occur in how many drive cycles and how many of those drive cycles have to be consecutive and does one occurance affect the thresh-hold of the next occurance and.....) that may be a little more forgiving or the insertion of anything that could be deemed as "fuzzy logic" (something we appear to be seeing in some instances).

At this point, the OP can try his idea and advise us knowing full well that "there is the chance that the electronics wont be able to correlate the rpm difference.".

However... aside from upsetting any ABS or traction control apple carts, running one size tire on a driving axle and running a different size tire on a non-driving axle wont be inherently dangerous.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I agree with you Jim. In the '50s and '60s it was common practice in some circles to run smaller (diameter) and narrow tires on the front axle(s) while running tall, wide (almost drag slicks) on the rear. I realize that the cars in those long bygone days (sigh) were of a suspension design that was much simplier than today's autos but the only safety concerns were caused by young, full of testosterone, males determined to make a big impression on some teen queen. In the case under discussion, I made the tire difference to be about 1" overall height which would confirm another poster's figure on the number of rotations/mile. During several years of experience in tire retailing I had occasion to do +3 fitments on several vehicles (usually Honda Civics) and they all worked without any mechanical problems or safety concerns.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D