OT?: New cars run on partial cylinders?

Page 3 of 3

Appreciate info re the old Caddy's ...

And there are -still- definite, if not generally understood, advantages -and- disadvantages of each innovation ...

Total labor on an average "American" car nowadays is maybe 60% non-domestic?

"We" may not have a solution, but they (Big 3+) likely will right soon, now. Involves application of proverbial ax by auto makers, partial subsidization of axed benefits by the "Fedral Gummint", using you-know-whose monies.

A very prudent approach, which I would follow if I were in a position to buy.
But it potentially goes beyond that with some design, etc issues.
Suppose I wanted to compare repair costs for, say, 1997 Lesabre's and Crown Vic's as they roll from 100k to 150k miles. Assuming that good accurate numbers don't exist, how would I formulate expectations of differential costs? All life's decisions are based on expectations ...
Same question for 2005 models.
Cheers, Puddin'
*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
Not knowing anything about the engine, I can still offer opinions...
I'm unsure of how Cadillac handled the valve train on their old modulated displacement effort... I do know there were solenoids mounted under the valve covers, but that's about it.
With the current state of the art regarding engine controls, a workable modulated displacement engine is getting pretty close to "do-able", though I would have reservations about longevity.
One of the benefits of the much touted 42 volt system (that is always promised but never delivered), would be solenoids powerful enough to operate poppet valves (like the intake and exhaust valves in our motors). So, this mystery auto maker may have a 42 volt system on the go.... or, they may be using techology from HEUI diesel engines. The Ford PowerStroke diesels utilize high voltage for injector operation... the old 7.3 works at 115 volts supplied to the injectors and the 6.0 uses 48 volts to the same end.
There is no end to some of the amazing things that have been tried with the infernal (sp) combustion engine. In the early 80s, Ford had bought the rights to the "poly-motor".... built largely of space age plastics, this 4 cylinder twin overhead cam engine weighed something like 175 pounds and delivered (IIRC) 170 horsepower. Ford Motorsports was also hinting of a ceramic pistoned 1.6 litre four cylinder.... bragging about (again IIRC) 700+ horsepower.
I recall an article on a SAAB engine... I can't recall if the goal was modulated displacement or modulated compression ratios. The engine was built similar to the old Offenhauser engines.... the cylinder was cast as part of the head. In the SAAB effort, the position of the cylinder head was raised and lowered in relation to the crankshaft.
Even back in the late 50 and early 60s, manufacturers were experimenting.... Chrysler with it's free psiton gas turbine.
Much of the groundwork, though, has been laid out by independants.... Smokey Yunick (God rest his soul - he's kind of a personal hero) spent quite some time developing his "stratified charge" system... This engine utilized a turbocharger.. but not as a power adder. It was used to "homogenize" the intake charge which was, as I recall, a very lean mixture.
When it comes to the internal combustion motor... if you can dream it, there is probably someone playing with one in his "secret garage". Thanks for being a captive audience.
the solenoids were on the top of the valves and would act as a collapsed lifter on intake stroke keeping the intake valve closed, and keep the exhaust valve open at all times, making it a "dead" hole. the computer would limit the amount of gas going into the intake when in this condition. the problem with this setup was electrical gremlins that would screw it all up, causing most people to just disconnect the valve circuitry making it a full time V8

operate
the
built
of
experimenting....
Smokey
there
Yeah, one of Chryslers cars is designed to do this, the 300M I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong). V8 engine designed to run on only 4 cylinders when it needs to. Not sure how it is done. But I've read a few articles and a buddy who owns one was telling me this.
Sharky