OT: Sorta -The Buick "HArley Earl" campaign...

... will never convince ME.. since I was cognizant at the time of the 1958 Buick and Olds monstrosities.

Even more than the Cadillac of the period, an exercise in excess!

However the INTERIOR appointments of these cars had a touch and feel that Ford and Chrysler products, even most expensive imports like the Mercedes and Citroen, couldnt come close to.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I understand that you're unconvinced because of your historical knowledge. However, I think that it's a very slick campaign. I'd love to see Ford pull of an ad campaign that good. Instead we get hairy honky-tonkers. I do like the new F-150 ads that highlight the development of the truck, but otherwise, what does Ford spend its money on?

BTW, is there a Mercury or Lincoln ad campaign? One would love to see one that had enough flair to be memorable, as the Harley Earl ads are.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

Christopher Brown opined in news:7mxkb.5718$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

Good point...I should have noted that I think the campaign, itself, is a good one.

I guess Ford feels like the L-M cars sell themselves. But perhaps Ford gives ad dollars to the dealers? I note a lot more "car content" in local commercials for Ford dealers than for the GM's.

And it's bad when the MOST lingering Ford ad images are the take-off on the Dodge "Hemi" ads.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic wrote in news:Xns941965CA2884FBkMch6d@206.141.193.32:

A 1959 Cadillac was literally big enough to live in! My dad had a defunct one that sat behind the house. When I was 16, after having a disagreement with the parents over some trivial matter, I moved into the Caddy for 2 days. Pushed the front seat up all the way and had a decent sized living area in back.

Reply to
donutbandit

I like the one Lincoln runs for the sporty LS that shows the car running across a two lane bridge and creating a wake in the water below.

mike hunt

Christ>

Reply to
MikeHunt2

snip

Sort of reminds me of yrs ago when Ford was running their "better idea" campaign. They had an add about low fuel waring lite. The audio went something like "Are you used to having a car that give good mileage and you forget to look at the fuel gage ...". During this portion of the ad they were showing a picture of a Plymouth. Only saw the ad run one or two times. Didn't take too much gray mater to know why this ad was pulled.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Interesting... There is a 1957 Olds J2 sitting in the shop right now, three duces and all!

Today was our car clubs fall cruise, we (45 of us) left Wayne's drive-in around 10:30 and wandered our way up the Lake Michigan shoreline to Sheboygan (famous for bratwurst), stopped at the Mucky Duck for lunch (excellent) and headed north towards Manitiwoc, J.Bs J2 Olds made it about a mile from the resturant when it started to spit and sputter. On the side of the street, we determined that he had no spark, since this has been converted to a Pertronix electronic ignition, we waited a few minutes and voila, the damn thing started and ran. Another three miles. We parked the Olds in a Chiropracters parking lot, JB and Ces jumped into the Intrepid with us (left the AAR home today because I had a premonition) and we headed for the maritime Museum in Manitowoc. The other 41 had beaten us there by maybe 15-20 minutes. We toured the submarine (way cool) and looked at the exhibits (way cool). The next stop on the cruise was supposed to be a classic car dealership off the interstate, well, as he headed there, the group of cars following cars got fragmented, we all agreed "screw it" let's see if we can coak that old Oldsmobile back home. We drove back down the lakeshore to Sheboygan, the Olds fired right up and we went

30+ miles with not a buck or a snort from it. Just past Belgium that old Olds let a flame out the tailpipe about a foot long! Shit, 8 miles to go and it's acting up! J.B. drove the next five miles 50/50 in the right lane of the I-state and on the shoulder. Three miles to go and she craps out totally, J.B. coasts it onto an off ramp. Hell, this thing likes to cool down so we sat there for 20 minutes and let 'er cool down. Fired right up and made it the last three miles to my shop no problem. Tomorrow it is getting a set of points and condensor.

Well, it sure beats sitting home and watching the Packers get their asses kicked!

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Reply to
getupand

I drove a 58 Buick Special from 100,000 to 220,000 miles and sold it still running. It was a tank but a great freeway flier. 5,000 lb. of steel really soaks up the bumps in the pavement. LOL Remember when there were vent windows? That had a winder mechanism for them with a handle in the door. And heaters under both sides of the front seat. Options were things like an 'autronic eye' that automatically dimmed the headlights for oncoming traffic, and a portable radio that was stored in the glove box. Also available was air suspension with a small compressor driven off of the engine. It was big, but a great car for along trip.

Reply to
max-income

While The ads can't get me into a Buick ( haven't seen a decent one since the GNX), Harley Earl was a legend. Starting back in the custom coach days of the

1930's to the finned wonders of the 1950's, Earl made GM a style leader. As far as interiors go... Their are some 300 SL Gullwing owners who might beg to differ on that. Ed Cole's engineering helped Earl's fame alot as well.
Reply to
Tiger

Tiger opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Depends on what you call an automotive LINE!

And I'm glad you brought Cole's name up... HE is the one that all us modder's revered!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

...but at least the cars back then had personality. I can't think of a more boring make of cars save for Toyota. You'd think they'd have saved the Earl campaign until AFTER the next line of presumeably more interesting Buicks are produced.

Reply to
Rich