OT Thermostat Question

Wifes 99 Honda civic, have to change teh thermostat, is the thermostat always located where you follow the top rad hose back to on the motor? this one is a vertically mounted thermostat in that case.
Thanks
Sorry to be obtuse..... usually = yes... always = no. The Dodge (I think it's the 2.7???) is one that comes to mind - thermostat on the lower left of the engine.
In your case, I think it safe to assume that the thermostat is, indeed, mounted where you think it is...
HTH.
Picasso wrote:

I'm not sure about your Civic, but In once had a Toyota with the 'stat mounted where the lower hose went into the block. I found this out the hard way on a cold winter evening during a snow storm. Thermostats are "usually" found where the upper hose connects to the engine, but they can be located elsewhere. You may want to try a Honda newsgroup or forum.
i have a honda accord if yours is like mine the thermostate is located passingers side towards the back of the engine where the head meets the block and the intake bolts to the head i just looked at mine and it is where the lower hose meats up with the engine. it is not in the upper hose if yours is like mine
rick505 wrote:

Well i took your advice, and it was on the lower hose... looks like a temp sensor right in front of it too.
Anyway, I would have yanked the top one if i hadn't had at least some confirmation that it may be on the lower hose.
Friggin Hondas ;P Wifes car... i couldn't talk her in to a crown vic.
again if yours is like mine on that thermostate housing there is a bleeder it looks like a bleeder on brake calipers after u have it back together and when u put your antifreeze back in open that bleeder up to get the air out of the block

As you have found out, no. Japanese love cold side stats. 4 valve V6/V8 Fords, 2.3/2.5 Mazda have 'em, too....