Out of state ticket!

Page 2 of 3  


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 05:33:22 GMT, "Jim Warman"

The problem on this continent is the belief that if one blindly obeys "the law" no harm can come to them or others. There are countless individuals in the Law & order dept (may FD individuals such as yourself believe they are included in this group). who don't understand the origin an reason for many given laws and blindly assume that they laws were put in place for safety.
Having handled many death and serious injury claims in the insurance field I have learned that speed is often a small sometimes insignificant factor. There are other far more critical factors resulting in death including impairment (Sleep, drugs & alcohol) lack of skill (huge factor) and poorly maintained vehicles (common mistake is old hard tires that look good & pass many state/provincial inspections.
If you are trying to tell us that someone doing the speed limit in a 10 year old rusty Hyundai with bad tires and misaimed headlights with no seat belt who's inexperienced and overtired traveling down the TransCanada highway is safer than someone skilled and rested traveling 101 KPH in a brand new Cadillac Deville down the very same stretch you're gravely mistaken.
Enough of my rant.
As for the Ticket? Pay the fine. The state's need to fund their gay art's initiatives.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
(...)

And their teachers too. Teachers don't work for free. Art, state police and state health officials are important too.
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Speed is a contributing factor... the higher the speed, the more the danger.... Add speed into the usual distractions that drivers indulge in and I have to ask "is there any one mitigating or common factor?". That we have accidents at all is proof that most of us don't know how to drive...... I've been involved in a few and I know full and well what I could have done different or avoided doing....
Unlike many responding to this thread, I am not a victim of most of my unfortunate events... to some point, I have been an author..... A statement such as "I'm a safe speeder" or "speeding is a fact of life" or some variation on these themes is an admission of starting the process.
You folks can try and justify your agendas any which way you want and the fact will not be altered.... far too many people are dying on north american highways. If for no other reason than common sense and traffic laws were designed for other people. Throughout this entire thread, some respondents have been engaged in a battle of wits.... I have finally realize that we are fighting with unarmed people...
Blindly obeying the law is no assurance of avoiding an accident.... simply because so many others have abdicated any responsibilty for their actions. Something else always "made me do it". Grow up... get a life... deal with what life gives us.... we will survive if we allow ourselves to survive.
I offer no "excuses" for not driving intelligently..... however, many feel the need to offer excuses for the way they drive...
Nice that you can sit at a desk and offer up judgement, safe in the knowledge that you wont have to actually witness the carnage left in the aftermath of your statistics. People are not statistics until after you bean counters declare them statistics.... they are moms and dads and sisters and brothers... and they are dying at an alarming rate because of cavalier attitudes towards safety.... I have worked with your kinds of "forms"... the ones that keep me from expressing my true feelings and findings regarding an incident. The grand desire to assign one (and only one) attribute to an MVA.
I perform investigations for our RCMP detatchment in MVAs resulting in injury/death..... a task that occurs far too often. If I were to attach any particular cause, driver inattention would be the overbearing theme. Exceeding the posted (and/or logical) speed would be included in this class. Talking on the cell phome is bad... going too fast is bad... doing both is a recipe for disaster....
We can browbeat this for a long, long time but we can not alter the fact that doing something wrong is doing something wrong and no amount of embellishment will alter the fact.
Am I perfect? No.... Do I strive for perfection.... mostly. Do I f*ck up and try and blame it on some other factor? Why would I?
wrote:

Your
I
scraped
Given
can
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Note that far more are killed every year on the nations paved surfaces than we have lost in Iraq, but what do people scream about?
I have never seen a true "accident".
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:27:12 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Hey! Spikey Likes IT! 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You cannot be convicted unless you make a plea and/or appear in court. Sending the fine in an envelope is usually an admission of guilty (e.g. guilty plea). Your insurance will not go up if you are not somehow convicted. But if you fail to appear a warrant for your arrest will be issued in that state. I assume that it will last for 7 years, but I'm not sure.
This has happened to me twice, and I just ignored the tickets because I did not plan I going back. I actually did, once, but I drove real careful.
There is a book by NOLO PRESS called "Fight Your Ticket and Win" that is absolutely great and covers this exact topic.
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A LAWYER.
-jk
----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: alt.autos.ford Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 10:18 AM Subject: Out of state ticket!

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
From what you say, you have no grounds to contest the citation. It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but 10mph over is somewhat minor. You've also made no excuse for why you should not pay the fine.
As for not paying the ticket... that depends on the jurisdiction issue as well. If that state has a bi-lateral agreement with your state, you just may find your state tags your license.
It's your conscience, integrity, self respect, morals. You decide. If it was me, I would pay the fine and have done with it, and never have to worry about it again. I would hate to forget about it and then one day a couple of years later be passing through that state on a slow day and have some patrolman stop me and in front of family or friends, be hauled away in cuffs under arrest.... AND have to pay even more than the original ticket.
If you believe the ticket was wrong, you might write a letter to the court, sent along with your fine payment, explaining the circumstances (ie funeral situation or whatever), describe the patrolman as very professional, etc, but you are unable to return and fight the citation. It's "possible" they will take your fine, but not assess points. I have seen it work, but it's not something to count on.
I'm not a lawyer either... I am just a retired cop.
wrote:

Hey! Spikey Likes IT! 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:18:59 -0500, Ralf wrote:

Was the state trooper driving a Ford?
Rodney
-
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
A Mustang!! RG
| > Subject: Out-of-State Speeding Ticket | > Date: Thursday, February 10, 2005 11:18 AM | > | > This week I had to make a rush trip to Virginia to visit a dear Uncle who | > had a heart attack. Had to speed up to pass a slow moving truck and just as | > I got around him, coming the other way was a State Trooper.. at the time I | > was doing 65 MPH,, sadly I found out I was in a 55MPH area. The trooper | > ticketed me and did not want to hear any excuses. Now I have the option of | > sending the fine or going back to Virginia and trying to plead my case. I | > do need all advice, good and bad.. first ticket in over 15 years. big | > concern is the possibility of increased insurance premiums. What happens if | > I just ignore the ticket, does the traffic court automatically judge me | > guilty,, etc. | > Any and all advice appreciated. thanks. RG | | | Was the state trooper driving a Ford? | | Rodney | | -
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Wow, I think now you got the attention of people in this newsgroup.
:-P

later,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Use your Ford credit card to pay the fine, WBMA. ;)
mike hunt
snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What about writing them a check for one dollar over the ticket amount, preventing them from cashing it?
Or was that just an urban legend I heard?
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It is an urban legend.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I got a speeding ticket in Indiana about 8 years ago, (I live in CA) and I sent in a check for the fine and it was never cashed. I haven't been back to the state, but I do wonder what happened, or will, but only when I see exchanges such as this thread.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Don't be a fool, pay the ticket. Once a warrant is issued for you your life could take a drastic change. Suppose you were stopped again and that warrant was on file, lets say, 6 years later. Imagine how much it would cost you to bail out of jail, get a lawyer, fight the charge and then either do jail time, community service hours, a fine or some combination of all three? Apply for a home loan that requires a credit check. If that puppy turns up you're toast. Get a promotion that requires you to use company vehicles and be covered by company insurance. If that ticket and warrant turns up you will loose the promotion. This is a whole lot of risk for a couple of hundred bucks. Pay the damn thing and be done with it. You did the crime, now do the time.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
All states in the US agree to suspend the drivers license of an individual who does not either appear in court or pay the fine. If you are later stopped while driving in any state suspended for "failure to appear" the fines are huge and you may even be jailed.
Pay the fine, move on.
Most states do not issue points for out of state tickets. Check with your local MVA.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I forgot to pay a ticket on time and got a letter in the mail saying they suspended my license until it was paid plus penalties. This is canada i dont know how it works down there.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Brad Kraan wrote:

I'm licensed in North Carolina and was ticketed many years ago in South Carolina. I paid the ticket quickly without complaint because he caught me fair and square. My response was rewarded... SC never told NC about the ticket and I didn't get any insurance points.
You need to pay the ticket. Whether your state will enforce it or not, you don't want to be in the position of having an outstanding warrant for your arrest waiting for you in Virginia. Things like that have a nasty habit of popping up and biting you on the ass at the worst possible moment.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.REMOVE
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ralf wrote:

Just mail the check and move on. Saves on travel & court costs. For 1 ticket in 15 years, your doing pretty good.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Is it an age thing?
Whatever the reason, no matter where the people who post in this thread are from, by and large it makes me feel a lot better about the state of society when I see that there are more people with integrity, self respect, moral values, etc, than those without.
The headlines are filled with crooks; from the government, from corporations, from religion, and more; who have evidenced that they do not possess such attributes. Those headlines give ordinary hard working contributors to society people the impression that society is crashing all around us.
Basing the condition of the social order on the posts here, the high levels of responsibility give rise to a hope that society is not filled with just the "me" people; people who could care less about the other guy.
To those with high standards, I say 'thank you', for you have made my career something to be proud of, and not a wasted effort.
wrote:

Hey! Spikey Likes IT! 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.