Oxygen Sensor 98 Grand Marquis

Is it difficut to change the Oxygen Sensor on the catalytic converter? I don't have a lift and I'm wondering if I can squeeze under there to get at it.
Where is it located? M
mstrspy wrote:

there are 2 O2 sensors, one before the CAT, and one after(but not ON the CAT). Are you getting a code or what? To change either one you will need to get the car up off the ground at least a little.
I am getting P0420 which is insufficient catalyst. I'm told this could be a bad O2 sensor (inexpensive repair) or bad catalytic converter.
Funny thing is, the engine runs great; 25 mpg. I'm hoping it's a bad O2 sensor

mstrspy wrote:

You might want to check with the dealer to see if a PCM flash update is available for that car. There was one for certain CVs for exactly that problem. I think they loosened the parameters on the cat monitor.
I would check with the dealer but I don't trust them. They will not benifit by a simple fix. Forgive my sinicism (sp?) butI have been taking a real beating lately on this car. I will have another mechanic look at it. Thanks for your info; very interesting.
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:15:34 -0400, Tom Adkins

mstrspy wrote:

You car most likely has a bad cat. (this car had running probs for quite a while right?) If it is the cat you should be able to have a local muffler shop replace it for about $150. It won't hurt to drive it in the mean time....also, Tom knows Fords- I would listen to him. If you had a bad experiance at a dealer, go to another one (lincoln or ford). Tom, wouldn't that update be free, like a recall of sorts? You could call the dealer with your VIN # and ask them if it needs an update flash.
ShoeSalesman wrote:

Thanks for the kind words ShoeSalesman, I'm blushin'. It's possible that the cat has failed due to the previous misfiring. If applicable, I think the reflash would be free of charge because it's emissions related. There could be mileage parameters though. If it applies it needs to be done though. Even if the cat is bad, the more rigid parameters could cause the code to set. This was the reason for the reflash.
Tom Adkins wrote:

you're blushin? lol You're supposed to say "ahhh shucks". :) I've delt with a lincoln dealer quite a bit and it seams there are updated flashes that come out as a recall. Could he not just call a service writer with his VIN# and find out for sure? Or better yet cruise in there and ask them without leaving the car.
ShoeSalesman wrote:

Yup, that would be the best way to find out.
Tommorow I will do exactly that. I will call a dealer with the VIN# I'll let you know how it turns out. M
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 19:51:46 -0400, Tom Adkins

mstrspy wrote:

Aww, Shuckins', twernt nothin sir. (Trivia question: Who was the cartoon character that used to say that?).
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:58:46 -0400, Tom Adkins

Damn, I remember this as a kid but can't quite remember whos said it.
mstrspy wrote:

That's why I asked. I remember the phrase, but not quite the character. It was a white dog that played a character called Deputy Dawg in some cartoons. I know the Deputy (Deppity?) Dog character, but who was the white and black dog that had the DD alter ego. The DD character was a part of the show. I remember another character called Tennessee...something....? He was blue\purple...? They all resembled Yogi Bear being IIRC Hannah/Barbera toons. It sure sux when you can't remember things from recent times like the 60s. ;)
Tom Adkins wrote:

Ok, after some looking, it was Huckleberry Hound. His voice was also Deppity Dawg, his shorter alter ego.
Tennesee Tuxedo
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 00:12:14 -0400, Tom Adkins