P/S fluid leak '89 5.0 Crown Vic

Coming home from work yesterday noticed constant hum like when you turn wheel fully to one side and hold it there while driving straight down the road!. Checked
fluid level today and it was at bottom of reservoir also fluid pooling on top of cap. There's a hose on right side that can be rotated and compressed towards housing when running but is under pressure backs out to stop. No evidence of leaks but noise went away when I started motor and I topped fluid level off. Any comments out there or experience? I'm hoping for a leak rather than a bad pump worst case scenario. Thanks much! Bob/Orlando
Bob Manly wrote:

if you turn the steering wheel sharply when the engine is not running then you can get the fluid to shoot up and out the shole in the cap.... maybe this is what happned????? if so then just add some fluid and rotate the steering wheel from side to side, dont hold it to one side to long or you gonna blow the valves in it.... if you do have a leak.. there is an O-ring that you cannot service on the high pressrue side hose where it connects to the pump... its inside the fitting and is put there before the fitting is pressed on the hose...if this is the case then you have to replace the high pressure hose.. hope this is not it, but if it is then look real good for this hole leaking... wash all the old fluid off that ran over the engine and frame... i went to a car wash and left the motor run when i used the wash/wand on mine.. looked like a new surface after getting all the old grease/oil off the car.. needed to so this so i can see if it is still leaking and where from???? hope this helps.
On my 89, CV the Hose had a high pressure leak that only happened when I was running @ highway speeds. Saw a lot of Fluid around the Hose though,when stopped.
After replacing the Hose, no more problems. Don't wait too long if it is the Hose. Sam/VB

I would just keep an eye on it for a few weeks. If it is leaking, you'll find it somewhere. The noise is normal for low fluid. Is the fluid dirty? I flush mine from time to time just as a preventative measure. The low pressure side usually has a hose with clamp that can be removed to help flushing... PoD