P vs. N

Page 2 of 2
Louis M. Brown wrote:

3 forward gears, + lockup in 3rd, feels just like 4 forward...
Rob
On Tue, 24 May 2005 16:57:33 -0400, trainfan1

Ok, that explains it, then.
-LMB

I started doing this years ago on an old '85 Caprice, and got into the habit. I still drive in D, except on the highway on my 97 Taurus. Haven't had any problems (knock on wood), and the original tranny has 125,000miles on it (AX4N I believe? It's the stronger of the 2 trans offered with the 3.0 Vulcan).
Teknical wrote:

If you have the AX4N(19 bolt pan), you are lucky to have that combination! The Vulcan will pull into OD Lock-up around 36-37 mph, and has good torque in that range, so you are sacrificing MPG by not driving in OD and letting the computer do the thinking. The AX4N is very adaptive to conditions in OD - you will likely never have a problem.
Rob
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Neither.
Leave the bands & clutches engaged, idle in "Drive". Much less wear than dis-engaging & re-engaging all the clutch packs, bands & servos. The only slipping/stalled component at idle in (D) is the fluid connection at the converter... leave it that way. With electric fans, the cooling system of the vehicle is more than adequate.
Rob
On Tue, 24 May 2005 16:07:16 -0400, trainfan1

Correct. The admonition to put the vehicle out of gear when idling was to allow the engine to run faster to move cooling air through the rad (and tranny cooler) to avoid overheating. Idling fast in gear produces a fair amount of heat in the converter.
With today's computer controlled engines and transmissions, and electric cooling fans, this is no longer an issue.
Put it in drive and leave it there. As for OD, when running heavily loaded, towing a trailer, or running in hilly terrain, it is recommended to lock out OD (run in D insted of OD, or press the OD lockout button, depending on the car). This WILL increase fuel usage marginally, but the transmission does less "hunting" - therefore fewer application and release cycles, causing less wear on the trans components. Under these conditions you SHOULD be running at reduced speed anyway, so the fuel consumption hit IS marginal.