P0420 in 1996 Ford Contour v6 SE

OK so I replaced the sensor but the light is back so I am going to have to change the cat I have zeroed in on this part

?

I am going to replace it myself so just wanted to make sure that its the one below the drivers seat , right ?

Reply to
saurabh.pradhan

That page didn't work. Is there only one cat? one side? If so I guess it has to be it. I dont know about that car. Never seen one. Is it a "universal" type? If so do you have welding equipment? You'll need it. I've had lots of cats replaced at a local muffler shop for about $120 (if a universal type) You could try a Midas place but I have found they are way overpriced compaired to the local guy without the "chain name".

Reply to
ScottM

Yours is 1 2.5, right? 3 cats, right?

Zoom Eastern Front Catalytic Converter

1995-2000 Ford ContourEASTERN CATALYTIC CONVERTER -- Direct Fit Catalytic Converter, Meets Or Exceeds OEM Specifications And It Is Built To Exact OE Dimensions With OE Quality Flanges And Flex Assemblies, They Feature Eastern's Proprietary Catalytic Chemistry And High Flow Design That Maximizes Engine Output And Catalytic Efficiency

Fits: Engine Front - Radiator Side. Location: Front Fit: Direct Fit Write a review Availability: In Stock Low Price Guarantee

FITS (ENGINE/CHASSIS) SKU PRICE QTY

1995-2000 Ford Contour 30345 $507.09

1996: 2.5L, 6 Cylinders, Gas, FI, VIN ''L'' GL

1996: 2.5L, 6 Cylinders, Gas, FI, VIN ''L'' LX 1996: 2.5L, 6 Cylinders, Gas, FI, VIN ''L'' SE 1996: 2.5L, 6 Cylinders, Gas, FI, VIN ''L'' Sport

and

Eastern Rear Catalytic Converter

1995-2000 Ford ContourEASTERN CATALYTIC CONVERTER -- Direct Fit Catalytic Converter, Meets Or Exceeds OEM Specifications And It Is Built To Exact OE Dimensions With OE Quality Flanges And Flex Assemblies, They Feature Eastern's Proprietary Catalytic Chemistry And High Flow Design That Maximizes Engine Output And Catalytic Efficiency

Fits: Engine Rear. Location: Rear Fit: Direct Fit Write a review Availability: In Stock Low Price Guarantee FITS (ENGINE/CHASSIS) SKU PRICE QTY

1995-2000 Ford Contour 30344 $533.34

1996: 2.5L, 6 Cylinders, Gas, FI, VIN ''L'' GL

1996: 2.5L, 6 Cylinders, Gas, FI, VIN ''L'' LX 1996: 2.5L, 6 Cylinders, Gas, FI, VIN ''L'' SE 1996: 2.5L, 6 Cylinders, Gas, FI, VIN ''L'' Sport

PLUS

Eastern Rear Catalytic Converter

1995-2000 Ford ContourEASTERN CATALYTIC CONVERTER -- Direct Fit Catalytic Converter, Meets Or Exceeds OEM Specifications And It Is Built To Exact OE Dimensions With OE Quality Flanges And Flex Assemblies, They Feature Eastern's Proprietary Catalytic Chemistry And High Flow Design That Maximizes Engine Output And Catalytic Efficiency

Fits: Rear Unit - With Manual Transmission - Excluded Svt.. Location: Rear Fit: Direct Fit Write a review Availability: In Stock Low Price Guarantee FITS (ENGINE/CHASSIS) SKU PRICE QTY

1995-2000 Ford Contour 30366 $199.40

1996: 2.5L, 6 Cylinders, Gas, FI, VIN ''L'' GL

1996: 2.5L, 6 Cylinders, Gas, FI, VIN ''L'' LX 1996: 2.5L, 6 Cylinders, Gas, FI, VIN ''L'' SE 1996: 2.5L, 6 Cylinders, Gas, FI, VIN ''L'' Sport

OR

Catco Rear Catalytic Converter - Stainless Steel

1995-2000 Ford ContourCATCO CATALYTIC CONVERTER -- Direct Fit, Original Replacement Catalytic Converter, Stainless Steel Piping

Fits: Rear, Automatic Transmission, Except California Models. Location: Rear Material: Stainless Steel Write a review Availability: In Stock Low Price Guarantee FITS (ENGINE/CHASSIS) SKU PRICE QTY

1995-2000 Ford Contour 4147 $185.23

1996: 6Cyl 2.5L All

Bank ONE means the first one. Bank TWO means the second one.

Universals will NOT fit. Unless you are a magician. The best price I've heard for all 3 installed is $1300. Generally the quotes run closer to $1800.

The front cats are NOT simple to replace. (Nothing is on a 2.5 ConTique)

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Any idea how much labour I should expect to replace the front Cat? in terms of hours so that I know I am not getting ripped off

Thanks Saurabh

Reply to
saurabh.pradhan

Not sure what flat rate on the job is, but I wouldn't expect much less than 2 hours. And the vehicle is not new, so bolts could be troublesome. Anything up to $150 or $200 would be believeable - depending on labour rates, but I'd be hoping for closer to $100

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Is it a good idea to replace the downstream O2 sensor as well ?

Reply to
saurabh.pradhan