P0430 Catalist Bank 2

I am a new subscriber to this so hope this isn't a repeat.

Have been getting code P0430 on a 98 Explorer, 5 liter. The code refers to 'bank 2'. Which side is bank 2? The engine runs fine and see no apparent problem with the exhasut sysatem. I changed the left rear H2OS but didn't cure the problem. What should I do next?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Well, first.. you killed the messenger.

Bank 2 is the one set back behind bank 1 .. Cyl 1 is always frontmost (toward belts) and in bank 1.

If you have no other codes, probably a damaged catalytic converter.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks: I was afraid of that. This is my son's vehicle and I have been trying to find an easy fix for some time. P0430 is the only code. The CD repair manual would seem to imply that if one fixed the cause, the catalyst would work. Changing the plugs and wires made run better.

Thanks again.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bad plugs and wires might have CAUSED the cat to break down.... or temporarily show less efficient.

And if you reset the PCM, the code MAY not return if it were transitory.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

For some reason this vintage of the 5-liter equipped Explorer eats ignition wires faster than anything else I have seen. My '98 is on the third set, with less than 100K. When the telltale hesitation and slight vibration appeared for the first time (at around 35K), it took at least a week for the CEL to turn on. I assumed it was TC shudder and kept driving. Luckily, no catalytic converter damage resulted from the unburned fuel. Otherwise it's a very solid engine.

BTW: On a V engine, bank 2 is always the one that does not include cylinder

  1. Driver side in this case.

Reply to
Happy Traveler