P71 Tire Recommendations?

I have a 2002 Crown Victoria P71 that is in need of new tires. The Goodyear RS-A's that came stock on the car seemed to work great except for on wet
pavement. In the rain,the rear end of the car wants to slide a bit. Should I just replace them with the same tires,or does anyone on the group have any better ideas?
TIA
JT

See if you can find a Kumho in the right size. Check tirerack.com for info.
I just got a set of Kumho's for my '95 but they don't go on until the weekend. I have the Mich Harmony on the Cougar and they're very good, so far.
PoD

Paul of Dayton wrote:

I wouldn't buy kumhos if i had to choose between them and solid rubber tires...
those frigging kumhos are the nosiest and cheapest side walled tires I've ever seen. well, maybe president tires are the cheapest sidewalls.
I'm putting LT tires on my car next time :P

The Kumho's on my GT are far quieter then the OEMs or the hi$$$ Yoko's it had. They also track 1000% better then either of the other tires. The Yoko's had terrible sidewalls. Maybe you bought the wrong model Kumho's.

....... ...... ..........
Let me be sure - aren't LT tires Light Truck? I bought a car... I don't want a truck.
PoD
1
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 01:45:44 GMT, "Paul of Dayton"

Yes, LT = light truck, P = Passenger car. From most of the ones I've seen there isn't a lot of difference between them, sometimes the sidewalls have an extra ply and/or the tread area has an extra layer of innerlinner (not a ply, just a layer to seal the air better because the truck tires run higher pressure).
At one time, maybe still, ford was calling for P rated on the explorers rather then the LT to try and make it squishier and less likely to grab when slidding sideways.

The whole problem behind the Explorer/Firestone debacle is that the Ford engineers were trying to use the tires as part of the suspension, rather than fixing the suspension to improve the ride.
But Ford was specifying tire pressure lower than the Firestone load/pressure chart called for to make the ride softer, and you combine that with people who never check their tires and the pressures got even lower... Then the tires overheated and failed.
Light Truck tires are built a bit stiffer and will tighten up the ride when compared to passenger tires, but that stiffness often translates to longer treadwear and service life under the same driving conditions. Though it's hard to compare, because LT tires don't fall under the Federal UTQG Tread Wear Rating system.
You will get better handling from the stiffer sidewalls, but the tread compounds are usually a little less grippy, making that a wash. I've driven the same SUV after switching over to LT's - you can tell the difference, but only if you're in "Princess and the Pea" mode. There are enough advantages that I'd do it again, and encourage other people to. I have to change the tires based on time when they start getting weather-checked, they tread is starting to get low but not into the danger zone - they simply won't wear out fast enough.
--<< Bruce >>--

don't

for ice and snow. They'll keep you out of the ditch anyway while everyone else is in there.
Here in Northern Canada, @ the zero mile of the Alaska Highway, they are a life saver. Can't put a price on that now can you.
4 tires are 702.00 installed, balance and with a lifetime warranty, free change overs and roadside assitance.
jfk

Good point. I'm in SW Ohio, completely different set of conditions. One tire store here is heavily promoting the Nokian "winter tire for all seasons" . . says they stop on ice... a little overkill for us...
PoD

Nah, no Kuhmos... ;) Try Yokohama Avid VR4s. Not a real all season tire though if this matters. But sticky and superlong tread life. I've got them on my 5.0 and have never been happier - for the price, you can't find a better tire.

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 07:19:26 GMT, "BradandBrooks"

I had Yoko dbAVS prior to the Kumho's and they were awful tires. Noisy, no traction, caught every rut in the road and jerked the car from side to side, did I say NOISY, soft sidewalls that just oozed sideways. Probably the most disappointing tires I've ever owned. I will never buy Yoko's again (unless my only other choice was Firestone).

AKA wrote:

Michelin Harmony.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Excellent tires, i have these on my 93 ... at least uintil i have to put the good year ultra grips on for winter :)
Hi - I encourage you to go to TireRack.com and do some comparisons based on the needs you have. For a Crown Vic, Goodyear's Assurance with ComforTred Technology is a very highly rated tire with superior traction in all kinds of weather, and an exceptionally smooth and quiet ride. This tire carries a 80,000 mile treadlife warranty. It's a premium tire that has terrific performance... I say that not only as a Goodyear Guy, but in the spirit of asking you to consider carefully your needs before deciding. -------------- Posted via http://www.fordforums.org
On 08 Nov 2006 14:49:20 GMT, Goodyear Guy wrote:

I've got a set of the Assurance Triple Treads on my 02 Town Car. Not a P-71, but the same platform. I really like them. Good traction in Michigan winters, excellent on wet roads, and surprisingly quiet, considering the tread design.
AKA wrote:

For a domestic choice, try Dayton Daytona SR Radials.
Rob